1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greggd12

Im looking to get more into Greek mythology....what are the most popular stories and what do you recommend reading? I wanna start off with something that will suck me in! Ive heard so much about Greek Myths but I never actually read any of them properly.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
My personal Greek mythology favorite story is anything related to Hercules!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Pandora’s box for sure!!

k_tsoukalas

Im looking to get more into Greek mythology....what are the most popular stories and what do you recommend reading? I wanna start off with something that will suck me in! Ive heard so much about Greek Myths but I never actually read any of them properly.
I would look into the following stories:
  • At one point, Cronus ate his children to prevent them from overthrowing him. Zeus's life was spared and he was raised in a cave on Crete (you can actually visit in real life this supposed cave). When Zeus was old enough, he confronted Cronus, got Cronus to spit up his brothers and sisters (the eventual Olympian gods) and this whole thing spurred the Titonomachy.
  • Titanomachy (when the Olympian Gods overthrew the Titans) - Reading about the war is interesting too... the war has many twists and turns
  • 12 Labors of Hercules
  • As an offshoot of the twelve labors, you might be entertained looking into Hera and her vengeful tendencies
  • Story of Theseus and the Minotaur
  • Prometheus steals fire from the gods and gives to mankind
  • Pandora's box
  • Medusa - the full story (How she turned into a monster all the way to her death)
To me, these stories are the original soap operas.

Did you know that Chronos (Greek god of time) is the father of the Olympians?

Chronos who is the Greek god of time actually had children! And many as many Greek gods and goddesses do, he had many! He had six children who are known as the Olympians. Their names are Chiron, Zeus, Hera, Posiden, Hades, Hestia and Demeter. They are perhaps some of the most important figures in Greek mythology, which is why it shocks me that so few people know that they are all Chronos' children. Not surprisingling, there was a lot of drama and incest that occurred between these siblings. Let me know if you'd like for me to post more about them!

The classic myth of the golden fleece

This is a classic story from Greek mythology. As you will see in the video, this fleece was from a coveted golde ram whose hair was made out of gold. Anyone who was able to get their hands on this fleece would be considered a true king and would gain access to power over the land. This is where the story gets a little more complicated...

Unknown Deity

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
According to the scripture he is the son of Apollo and Apate
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
According to Apollo’s manuscript
Somnios lives today as a human and reincarnates when the the body dies

In your opinion, what is the wildest Greek mythology story?

I know there are some pretty wild and crazy Greek mythology stories that involve incest, murder, and even worse. I'm super curious to see what everyone's favourite and most wild story is. If you are able to share links of the full story, please do. I know some of them can be very complicated and long so I don't want to make you spend forever explaining them in the threads LOL.

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter