1 - 6 of 6 Posts

auroracoor1

How do Greeks get their names and choose the names for their children? And why are so many names repeated in Greek culture? Thanks :)

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

I believe first names are family names and are passed down from the grandparents of the children

Luana

First born son is named after father's father, and second born son after mother's father, and same with daughters. First is named after father's mother, etc. Sometimes names are chosen from antiquity, such as Aristotle or Athena, and some Greek names become Americanized, such as Dimitri being James or Jim.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

First born son is named after father's father, and second born son after mother's father, and same with daughters. First is named after father's mother, etc. Sometimes names are chosen from antiquity, such as Aristotle or Athena, and some Greek names become Americanized, such as Dimitri being James or Jim.
Wow thank you! Are these traditions slowly changing? Or is the newer generation keeping them?

Luana

Hard to say, some do and some don't.

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

Hard to say, some do and some don't.
I think they're starting to do so more than before, but I wouldn't say its the majority. Many Greeks are still keeping the tradition

How to dance kalamatiano!

This is one Greek dance that always confuses me and I find myself googling the moves before every Greek party that I go to. I hope this video helps!!

Where can I buy Greek tsokara shoes?

I've always loved these shoes. I've been told they're called tsokara but I'm not sure what they're called in English. They're a woman's sandal made of a hard wood material and with a strip going along the top. Does anyone know where I can find this online?

They look exactly like this picture below but usually I thought they'd be cheaper

The Christmas boat is the original Christmas tree in Greece

Greek Orthodox Saints Day Calendars

Columbus, Ohio Greek festival in September!

Columbus is hosting a Greek festival in September! Check it out: https://rove.me/to/ohio/columbus-greek-festival
Hopefully all of the social distancing restrictions will be lifted by then and it will be safe to attend the festival as normal

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter