1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

There are so many Greek Orthodox traditions and each are beautiful in their own way! My personal favourites are attending church throughout the week with family and of course spending all of Saturday and Sunday cooking food together with family. Of course, the best part of Easter is the tender lamb that falls off the bone after spending hours on the spit. What is everyone else's favorite Greek Orthodox Easter tradition? :)

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

There are so many Greek Orthodox traditions and each are beautiful in their own way! My personal favourites are attending church throughout the week with family and of course spending all of Saturday and Sunday cooking food together with family. Of course, the best part of Easter is the tender lamb that falls off the bone after spending hours on the spit. What is everyone else's favorite Greek Orthodox Easter tradition? :)
My absolute favorite is Holy Friday and the Epitaphios procession.

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

Me too, I especially love it when you get to go outside and walk around the whole neighbourhood
I once was in a village with just a few houses here and there... it was so magical, the procession went through the farm fields and you could see the candles flickering from afar.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

I once was in a village with just a few houses here and there... it was so magical, the procession went through the farm fields and you could see the candles flickering from afar.
That sounds beautiful, where was this village?

k_tsoukalas

I love going to church, spending time with family, and eating lamb! :) Easter is a great time...

My favorite Greek love poem!

Greek poetry is some of the best around the world! I've been reading it for years, and this poem still stands to be one of my favorites. Let me know what you think, and of course share your favourites in the forum :)

Ode to Aphrodite:

Aphrodite, subtle of soul and deathless,
Daughter of God, weaver of wiles, I pray thee
Neither with care, dread Mistress, nor with anguish,
Slay thou my spirit!

But in pity hasten, come now if ever
From afar of old when my voice implored thee,
Thou hast deigned to listen, leaving the golden
House of thy father

With thy chariot yoked; and with doves that drew thee,
Fair and fleet around the dark earth from heaven,
Dipping vibrant wings down he azure distance,
Through the mid-ether;

Very swift they came; and thou, gracious Vision,
Leaned with face that smiled in immortal beauty,
Leaned to me and asked, "What misfortune threatened?
Why I had called thee?"

"What my frenzied heart craved in utter yearning,
Whom its wild desire would persuade to passion?
What disdainful charms, madly worshipped, slight thee?
Who wrongs thee, Sappho?"

"She that fain would fly, she shall quickly follow,
She that now rejects, yet with gifts shall woo thee,
She that heeds thee not, soon shall love to madness,
Love thee, the loth one!"

Come to me now thus, Goddess, and release me
From distress and pain; and all my distracted
Heart would seek, do thou, once again fulfilling,
Still be my ally!

Here is the link https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/pos/pos08.htm

What are some forgotten Greek traditions that youd like to bring back?

There are so many beautiful Greek traditions that many of us don’t do anymore. Personally, I don’t attend church as much as I’d like to. I usually only go for Christmas and Easter and I would love to start going more often. What are some traditions that you have lost over the years that you’d like to start doing again? 😊

What is the process of having a political wedding in Greece?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be having a wedding in a church, so I am wondering what the process is of having a political or non-religious wedding in Greece. I know that the reception will be a classic reception, but is there someone who can officiate a wedding regardless of religion? And is this done for people who don't live in Greece?

Any recommendations for Greek tv comedies to watch as a family?

Im looking to watch some funny and family friendly Greek tv shows to watch with the family! If anyone has any recommendations for Greek tv shows and where I can find them I would really appreciate it. I have a hard time finding international tv shows online these days. Thanks in advance! 😊
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter