1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

There are so many Greek Orthodox traditions and each are beautiful in their own way! My personal favourites are attending church throughout the week with family and of course spending all of Saturday and Sunday cooking food together with family. Of course, the best part of Easter is the tender lamb that falls off the bone after spending hours on the spit. What is everyone else's favorite Greek Orthodox Easter tradition? :)

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

There are so many Greek Orthodox traditions and each are beautiful in their own way! My personal favourites are attending church throughout the week with family and of course spending all of Saturday and Sunday cooking food together with family. Of course, the best part of Easter is the tender lamb that falls off the bone after spending hours on the spit. What is everyone else's favorite Greek Orthodox Easter tradition? :)
My absolute favorite is Holy Friday and the Epitaphios procession.

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

Me too, I especially love it when you get to go outside and walk around the whole neighbourhood
I once was in a village with just a few houses here and there... it was so magical, the procession went through the farm fields and you could see the candles flickering from afar.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

I once was in a village with just a few houses here and there... it was so magical, the procession went through the farm fields and you could see the candles flickering from afar.
That sounds beautiful, where was this village?

k_tsoukalas

I love going to church, spending time with family, and eating lamb! :) Easter is a great time...

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

The best fathers day gifts for your Greek dads, godfathers, uncles and grandfathers!

It's that time of year again! And so many people don't know what to get their father figures. Here is a list of a few examples that I have compiled and gifted throughout the years. Let me know what you think!

-A coffee cup set
-Tavli board
-Cigars
-Whiskey
-Soccer jersey
-Handwritten note
-Photo album
-Headphones
-A nice koboloi, you can find some great ones online or buy them from a Greek store. Here is an Esty shop that sells them and ships internationally https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491...0OfCQpfZurgBrcOYXCnzO4xJ-nIWFNYxoCIXUQAvD_BwE

Did you know that many Greek people dont have registries for their weddings?

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter