1 - 8 of 8 Posts

francescool

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

k_tsoukalas

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?
A lot of Greeks also call the candy coated white almond candy "koufeta". In fact, I have never seen chocolate candies called Koufeta. Does it maybe depend on the family or region of Greece as to what is called koufeta? I am in the Greek diaspora in the Northeast (near Lowell, MA).

ellinasgolfer0320

Koufeta is candy that you give out at weddings, and it doesn't mean one particular type of candy.

I was just at a wedding in Nafplio last weekend and their koufeta was candy coated almonds. At my wedding the koufeta will be chocolate covered walnuts, sour cherry, orange, and stracciatella. We're also giving out a small bottle of olive oil to match the theme (olives)

Traditionally, the koufeta are the almonds, but when you walk into a store to pick out your bοbonieres (the wedding favor - typically a bag with koufeta, but really it can be anything such as a bag, a box, or anything you can think of) you will generally have several options of koufeta to choose from

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

Koufeta is candy that you give out at weddings, and it doesn't mean one particular type of candy.

I was just at a wedding in Nafplio last weekend and their koufeta was candy coated almonds. At my wedding the koufeta will be chocolate covered walnuts, sour cherry, orange, and stracciatella. We're also giving out a small bottle of olive oil to match the theme (olives)

Traditionally, the koufeta are the almonds, but when you walk into a store to pick out your bοbonieres (the wedding favor - typically a bag with koufeta, but really it can be anything such as a bag, a box, or anything you can think of) you will generally have several options of koufeta to choose from
I love these favors, they are so unique!! Beautiful theme of olives as well. Is straciatella like the Italian cheese? Or are you referring to something else?

ellinasgolfer0320

I love these favors, they are so unique!! Beautiful theme of olives as well. Is straciatella like the Italian cheese? Or are you referring to something else?
It's like the ice cream in Italy- a milk based cream with chocolate flakes in it

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

It's like the ice cream in Italy- a milk based cream with chocolate flakes in it
Sounds amazing, I think this is a recipe for those who might want to make it

ellinasgolfer0320

This is what our bobonieres and koufeta look like. Only two of the koufeta we're giving out are shown on this box (skryos and ithaki)

20220617_095505.jpg20220617_095516.jpg20220617_095315.jpg

Reactions: francescool

francescool

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

The best fathers day gifts for your Greek dads, godfathers, uncles and grandfathers!

It's that time of year again! And so many people don't know what to get their father figures. Here is a list of a few examples that I have compiled and gifted throughout the years. Let me know what you think!

-A coffee cup set
-Tavli board
-Cigars
-Whiskey
-Soccer jersey
-Handwritten note
-Photo album
-Headphones
-A nice koboloi, you can find some great ones online or buy them from a Greek store. Here is an Esty shop that sells them and ships internationally https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491...0OfCQpfZurgBrcOYXCnzO4xJ-nIWFNYxoCIXUQAvD_BwE
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter