1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

For my birthday every year growing up, all of Greek family and friends would gather and we would have a dinner party. I’m Greek culture, it’s customary for adults and kids to be invited to birthday parties (not like in America where kids have their own kids parties). My moms friends would come to my birthday parties for years, and still do to this day. Family and support is super important, so we all take part in celebrating. The same goes for name days too 😊

Reactions: Hash

Hash

For my birthday every year growing up, all of Greek family and friends would gather and we would have a dinner party. I’m Greek culture, it’s customary for adults and kids to be invited to birthday parties (not like in America where kids have their own kids parties). My moms friends would come to my birthday parties for years, and still do to this day. Family and support is super important, so we all take part in celebrating. The same goes for name days too 😊
How lovely!I have been to many birthday celebrations than I can remember... from christenings, baptisms, children's birthdays, adults, older adults, funerals... fabulous way of integration and acceptance in a society that is so warm and rich in culture.... Just imagine I was one of the handful outsiders from good ol'London town on a small island...The paneyghiria were unbelievable, some of them jointly celebrating with birthdays... never came home before 6/7 am!😂😂.... Kalley Mera from Thailand!

Last edited:
Reactions: tomipark

tomipark

How lovely!I have been to many birthday celebrations than I can remember... from christenings, baptisms, children's birthdays, adults, older adults, funerals... fabulous way of integration and acceptance in a society that is so warm and rich in culture.... Just imagine I was one of the handful outsiders from good ol'London town on a small island...The paneyghiria were unbelievable, some of them jointly celebrating with birthdays... never came home before 6/7 am!😂😂.... Kalley Mera from Thailand!
Beautiful!! Greeks are so welcoming, I’ve been to so many birthday parties just because I was hanging out with some friends and I was invited, not because I was related to the person.

ellinasgolfer0320

Greek Birthdays are no different in Greece than they are in America, except for one thing - you pay for people instead of others paying for you. I think the Greeks who grew up outside of Greece have started their own traditions for celebrating their birthday. Name days are bigger celebrations in Greece than birthdays are anyway

Beautiful slideshow of Greek Christmas carolers to remember the old times

It's these types of videos that make me miss the old times in Greece! I have so many fond memories of visiting my family and carolling with my cousins. My favorite thing to do was play the triangle because it was so darn easy! I didn't even know all of the words to many of the songs but it was extremely memorable and fun nonetheless. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Sing some traditional Greek Christmas carols this holiday season!

Christmas carolling is a very popular tradition in Greece where are young kids go from door-to-door with their parents singing Christmas carols to neighbors, family, and friends. Sometimes, people will give the kids money or small gifts, or just enjoy their beautiful voices. This tradition seems to be dying down, but it is still in existence as it has been happening in Greece for many many generations. Also I assume it's not as popular during Covid. But nonetheless, people gather in their homes amongst themselves and sing to continue caring the Christmas cheer, even during these hard times.

Did you know about the Greek New Years pomegranate tradition?

This is one of Greece's most beautiful traditions that is rooted in Ancient and modern traditions. The pomegranate is the symbol of good fortune, fertility and luck which is why it is associated with New Years. One of the Greek customs that people do on New Years is taking a pomegranate and breaking it open by throwing it outside of your house on New Years day. If you throw it hard enough and it opens on the fist try, it will bring the most luck to you and your family in the New Year!

Merry Christmas to the Worldwide Greeks community!

Merry Christmas to everyone in the worldwide Greeks community! I am so happy that I have found a place where I can chat with others in this forum. I wish everyone a blessed Christmas and a very happy New Year. As the Greeks say, Xronia Polla! And let's not forget that today is the name day of anyone named Maria, Mario, Panagioti (please let me know if I am forgetting anyone). Xronia Polla to all of those celebrating their name days. 🎄

Where to shop for wedding dresses in Greece from local Greek designers!

As many of you may know, Greek weddings are a huge part of the culture in a really important way for both families to celebrate the union of love under God. Greece is also one of the best places to go clothes shopping! Especially for big items like wedding dresses because they aren't shipped from elsewhere (if you're getting them from a Greek designer that is). The quality is also super high and usually worth the price. My cousin goes to fashion school and she highly recommends Greek and Italian fashion designers! Here are a few that I have been looking at online.

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter