1 - 4 of 4 Posts

ssherie_

The Egnatia Quarter looks amazing! (My friend took this pic while she was there). I'm planning on visiting when I'm in Thessaloniki...and I'm wondering what else can I do in the area?

Egnatia-Neighborhood-Thessaloniki-720x480.jpg

nik_ma

Egnatia avenue has fashion boutiques, shoe shops and bakeries where you can buy snacks and coffee.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

Lefkos pirgos (the white tower) is just down the street! The area is good for browsing and shopping around and it's right on the water

k_tsoukalas

There are some Byzantine churches in this neighborhood you might want to visit. They're all beautiful in their own way.

Have you heard about the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki?

This museum is lesser known but I've heard amazing things from friends who have visited! There is a very interesting exhibit that is currently being put on titled "Visualizing humanity." It is the first project by the Network of Contemporary Culture Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports. I really would love to visit this exhibit since it showcases the phases of life and culture, mainly inspired by important moments in Greek history. There are four "chapters" in the exhibition, my favorite concept (whiteout seeing it of course) is Feels Like Home. :)

What neighborhoods do you recommend that I visit in Thessaloniki?

I’m only planning on going to Thessaloniki for a couple of days so I’m wondering what would be the best neighborhoods to visit. Personally, I’m not looking for anything super touristy. I like to go out to eat and shop around, and usually go back to my hotel around 10pm, so not much nightlife for me. Let me know what you all think!!

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

What is the best place to get a hotel in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of visiting Thessaloniki this summer to visit a few friends and learn more about the history of the city...I am wondering where would be the best place to stay? What is the niehgborhood that is most central and next to the most activities? What would you recommend?

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter