1 - 6 of 6 Posts

tomipark

The island is just so huge and I can't visit each city. Which city is great for what type of activities? What do you all personally recommend?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
This is a load question LOL!

Here are some resources and links about the different areas of Crete, hopefully this helps!

Visit-Beautiful-Elafonissi-Beach-in-Crete-720x478.jpeg

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

Patisqua

This is a load question LOL!

Here are some resources and links about the different areas of Crete, hopefully this helps!

View attachment 641

Patisqua

Best tapas at Rustic Garden. Visit Symposium for bar/dinner. Both are in Chania Patisqua

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

Best tapas at Rustic Garden. Visit Symposium for bar/dinner. Both are in Chania Patisqua
Chania is beautiful! I think its the most "cultured" city

k_tsoukalas

I think for a good first session, Chania is a nice bet. It's a great, cultural city. The food is delicious (as it is all over Crete), there are some great beaches in and around Chania, and this is a good launching point if you want to hike the Samaria Gorge.

What do you need to know before visiting Chania, Crete!

When you're visiting Chania, I personally recommend sticking around the city. The restaurants are fantastic and it's also a city that's right by the water so you'll be able to go to the beach whenever you like. The nightlife is also pretty great, and there's really talented musicians who play live music in the summertime. This video outlines everything about the city perfectly. If you've been, drop some recommendations in the comments!

Did you know that most Cretan restaurants will serve you raki and watermelon after your meal?

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

Local farms to visit while in Crete!

Visiting local farms is one of the best way to see the real agriculture production processes in Greece. Crete is one of the most agricultural islands in the country, and is responsible for producing many olives and wheat that is sent to the mainland and other parts of the world. If you're lucky, some of these farms will have food tasting and tours that are available during the summer months. Some of the most known farms are Agreco Farm, Cretan farm in Hersonissos and the Cretan Olive Oil Farm.

Visiting Psychro Cave in Crete, also known as Zeus Cave

This is what the Zeus cave looks like in Crete. Ancient Greek mythology claims that this is where the ancient Greek god Zeus was born. Because of this, many many tourists flock from around the world to visit this cave. The cave is also revered as very special because there are many rare and valuable stones found within it such as amethyst. Here is a video clip that shows you the inside of the cave, if you are ever planning to visit.

In Crete you can ski in the morning and have lunch by the sea

Who knew Crete was so versatile! This article outlines all of the amazing things that you can do in Crete including skiing! Crete has many mountains that are over 2,000 meters that are covered in snow during the winter. Once you ski to the bottom, you can a little drive over to any neighbouring town and enjoy a lunch by the water.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter