1 - 9 of 9 Posts

efhernandez_

As many of you may know, malakas is probably one of the most popular words and swearwords in the Greek language. I hear it all the time when I'm travelling in Greece, and even when I'm in the United States. People can't seem to get enough of it. And its original state, the word means "wanker" which is commonly used in the UK. Although, the word has taken on many forms and can mean pretty much anything from "you're my best friend" to "I hate you."

Sandyrigo

When the high school boys hit the beach, I often tease my nephew and say “the malakas brothers were all at the beach today.”

Reactions: nm1999

ellinasgolfer0320

It has several meanings which depend on the context of the conversation:

Ela re malaka - what the hell asshole
Malaka - asshole/wanker
Ti kaneis re malaka? - how are you dude/bro?
Me koroϊdeveis? Den eimai malakas - Are you messing with me? I'm not a fool.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

It has several meanings which depend on the context of the conversation:

Ela re malaka - what the hell asshole
Malaka - asshole/wanker
Ti kaneis re malaka? - how are you dude/bro?
Me koroϊdeveis? Den eimai malakas - Are you messing with me? I'm not a fool.
Great explanation! This should be on posters in Greece for tourists lol

Reactions: Laura48

panatha

For m malakas is a malakas period

Reactions: cubrinj

cubrinj

ellinasgolfer0320

Patisqua

Patisqua

I always thought a Malaka was a wanker. Thanks for the education.

A beautiful Cretan wedding

Cretan wedding traditions are probably the most elaborate out of all the regions in Greece. It's one of the only cultures that still holds onto their wedding traditions so strongly. I personally can't wait to go to a Cretan wedding and experience all of this in person. If you are from Crete, please let me know if you had some of the traditions at your wedding!

What are the most in demand jobs for Greek speakers?

I would love to leverage my Greek speaking ability in the job market and see where my skills can be most valuable in the future. I am still in school now, so I am not looking for a job quite yet but I am just curious what everyone else's experience has been. Is Greek a useful language to know outside of Greece?

Has anyone gotten baptized as an adult?

Has anyone on this forum gotten baptized as an adult? I would love to learn more about the experience and what it has been like for everyone. I know everyone's religious journey can be different and their reasons for getting baptized vary. Many people that I have met have gotten baptized in order to marry their significant other while others have fallen in love with the Greek orthodox religion. This is something I am considering but I am not fully sure about which direction I want to go in and would love to hear from others before I make this next big step.

What is considered taboo in Greek culture?

Every culture has their taboos and stuff that isn't really talked about or normalized. I am wondering what is considered taboo in Greece, and what I should avoid bringing up, or maybe only bring up with caution. Or if there's anything that I should avoid doing because I don't wanna offend anyone. Thank you so much, your advice is very much appreciated. I think it's very important to know these things before travelling to any country!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter