1 - 10 of 10 Posts

efhernandez_

As many of you may know, malakas is probably one of the most popular words and swearwords in the Greek language. I hear it all the time when I'm travelling in Greece, and even when I'm in the United States. People can't seem to get enough of it. And its original state, the word means "wanker" which is commonly used in the UK. Although, the word has taken on many forms and can mean pretty much anything from "you're my best friend" to "I hate you."

Sandyrigo

When the high school boys hit the beach, I often tease my nephew and say “the malakas brothers were all at the beach today.”

Reactions: nm1999

ellinasgolfer0320

It has several meanings which depend on the context of the conversation:

Ela re malaka - what the hell asshole
Malaka - asshole/wanker
Ti kaneis re malaka? - how are you dude/bro?
Me koroϊdeveis? Den eimai malakas - Are you messing with me? I'm not a fool.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

It has several meanings which depend on the context of the conversation:

Ela re malaka - what the hell asshole
Malaka - asshole/wanker
Ti kaneis re malaka? - how are you dude/bro?
Me koroϊdeveis? Den eimai malakas - Are you messing with me? I'm not a fool.
Great explanation! This should be on posters in Greece for tourists lol

Reactions: Laura48

panatha

For m malakas is a malakas period

Reactions: cubrinj

cubrinj

ellinasgolfer0320

Patisqua

Patisqua

I always thought a Malaka was a wanker. Thanks for the education.

k_tsoukalas

This is one of the first Greek words I learned! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?

Greek Ships Christmas Tradition?

I have heard of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas. I think it's called karakavi? Does anyone know anything more about it? This isn't a tradition my family adopted but I have heard of friends doing it. I am thinking of adding it to our holiday celebrations this year.

From what I can tell, people who don't have an actual boat decorate models of boats. At first, I thought based on pics I had seen of Greece in the past, that boat owners were just being festive. lol

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube