1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

Does anyone know what traditional Cretan outfits looks like? I'd love to learn more about the local traditional culture, thanks!

Here is a video of young Cretan's dancing dressed in traditional outfits.

Tips for visiting Elafonissi Beach?

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Crete and have been intrigued by pictures of Elafonissi Beach's pink sands and beautiful crystal blue waters. As I'm putting together my itinerary, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for some insider tips. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on the following:

• Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of day or year to visit Elafonissi Beach to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  • Transportation: What are the best transportation options to reach the beach? Are there any recommended car rental agencies or public transport options?
  • Facilities: Does the beach have facilities like sunbeds, umbrellas, or cafes?
  • Local Eateries: Are there any must-try local eateries in the area that offer authentic Cretan cuisine?
  • Accommodation: Can you recommend any nearby accommodations ranging from budget to luxury?
  • Activities: Besides swimming and sunbathing, what other activities can one enjoy at or near Elafonissi Beach?
Also, are there any specific dos and don'ts or local customs I should be aware of while visiting Elafonissi Beach? Thanks in advance!

This is one of the photos I saw - it looks gorgeous there!

elafonissi-beach-crete.jpg

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back