1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

What exactly is a Byzantine chant? And how is it used in the Greek Orthodox Church?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a good article about Byzantine chanting and how it is used in the Greek Orthodox Church:

k_tsoukalas

Byzantine chant is a style of music found in the Orthodox Christian Church. The music as part of the Divine Liturgy is either sung in chant or traditional choir music. Often, the services feature a combination of both.

5 Greek wedding gifts not on the registry

Time Capsule​

Gift the newlyweds with a time capsule they can fill with memorabilia from their wedding, letters to each other, and dreams they have for their future together.

Gold Jewelry​

Giving gold jewelry to a Greek bride is something that has been done for centuries. Greek Orthodox weddings are steeped in tradition and religion, so gifting the bride with a piece of gold jewelry such as a bracelet or necklace is very thoughtful.

Money​

It’s hard to go wrong with the gift of money. It allows the bride and groom to purchase something they really want or need or even tuck it away for the future.

Personalized Stationary​

If you look at the bride and groom’s wedding invitation, you can get a little sense of their style together. You can parlay that into a beautiful set of stationary for the newlyweds.

I copied these from https://www.greekboston.com/wedding/gifts-not-registry/ :)

Seahorse Dragging A Mask' Underwater Photographer Nikos Samaras!👌

I didn't know where to post this!.... This photo should win more awards globally.....one of the best I have seen this year!

How to dance hasaposerviko!

Ive been trying to learn some Greek dances at home so that I can join in when I go to Greece next hear (hopefully) I get confused between the differences between hasapiko and hasaposerviko, so if anyone has any insight not that it would be super helpful. And please let me know if this is a traditional version of the dance or if its a variaiton

The Greek economy is growing!!

Finally, some good news for the economy of Greece :)

Learn Greek vocabulary words related to time!

This is for sure to come in handy when in Greece :)

• Time – η ωρα – i ora
  • Watch – το ρολόι – to roli
  • Clock – το ρολό – to roli
  • Daylight Savings Time – η θερινή ώραI therini ora
  • Time Difference – η διαφορά ώρας – I diafora oras
  • Time Zone – ζώνη ώρας – zoni oras
  • Set my watch one hour back – γυρίζω το ρολόι μου μία ώρα πίσω – yirizo to roli moo mia ora piso
  • Set my watch one hour ahead –γυρίζω το ρολόι μου μία ώρα μπροστά – yurizo to roli moo mia ora brosta
  • Do you have the time? έχεις / έχετε ώρα; Ehees (informal)/ Ehete (formal) ora;
  • Excuse me, do you have the time? Συγγνώμη, μήπως έχετε ώρα; signori, boros ehete ora?
  • Yes, it is 20:05. Ναι, είναι οκτώ και πέντε.Ne, eenai okto kai pende.
  • What time is it? τι ώρα είναι; To ora eenai;
  • It is (five) o’clock – είναι (πέντε) η ώρα eenai pence I ora – It is (five) o’clock.
  • To be punctual – είμαι ακριβήςeemai akrithis
  • To stand someone up – στήνω κάποιον – stono kapion
From https://www.greekboston.com/learn-speak/vocabulary-time/
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter