1 - 2 of 2 Posts

cf_fraiser

Every culture has their taboos and stuff that isn't really talked about or normalized. I am wondering what is considered taboo in Greece, and what I should avoid bringing up, or maybe only bring up with caution. Or if there's anything that I should avoid doing because I don't wanna offend anyone. Thank you so much, your advice is very much appreciated. I think it's very important to know these things before travelling to any country!

k_tsoukalas

Major differences between Greek and American weddings

Obviously, the main difference is that Greek weddings are usually held in a Greek orthodox church. But besides many of the religious and cultural factors, there are a few main differences that will probably stick out to any American people. The first is that Greek people do not have groomsmen or bridesmaids. The second, is that the wedding is not only about the couple, but the families as well. In Greek culture, the bride and grooms family are very involved in the wedding and it is considered a joining of their two families as well. Lastly, one of the major differences that I have noticed is that because the ceremony is a religious ceremony, it is not as personalized as American weddings where the couple exchanges vows.

The best fathers day gifts for your Greek dads, godfathers, uncles and grandfathers!

It's that time of year again! And so many people don't know what to get their father figures. Here is a list of a few examples that I have compiled and gifted throughout the years. Let me know what you think!

-A coffee cup set
-Tavli board
-Cigars
-Whiskey
-Soccer jersey
-Handwritten note
-Photo album
-Headphones
-A nice koboloi, you can find some great ones online or buy them from a Greek store. Here is an Esty shop that sells them and ships internationally https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491...0OfCQpfZurgBrcOYXCnzO4xJ-nIWFNYxoCIXUQAvD_BwE

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter