1 - 4 of 4 Posts

dubai_suzie

I've been to Santorini before (here's a beautiful picture from my trip), and I loved it but I'm curious as to what the traditional culture of the island is like. Does anyone know?

santo 2.png

k_tsoukalas

I remember that music was always present when dining out. Nearly everywhere I went, they had a local musician sitting at one of the tables, playing traditional music. In terms of food, I would be sure to try some of the specialty tomato dishes while on the island, like the tomato croquettes (domatakeftedes). It's also a great island for wine. The terroir is unique, so you might enjoy going on a tasting tour, or even just trying some of the local selections when you're dining out.

gaia-winery-santorini-720x481.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes! Santorini is a magical place, unlike any other in Greece that I have seen.

A few years ago we were in Santorini for the Panagia August 15 celebration, here is a look at a local celebration (it was just amazing!):

The traditional culture of santorini is similar to that of all the cycladic islands. Family is key around here.Most businesses are family centered. The two most traditional occupations of the island are fishing and agriculture which has as a result some of the tastest dishes you will ever try. Music is also very important with tsampouna and violin being the most common instruments used.

There are no Taxis in Santorini!

I love Santorini and this is my 4th time visiting the island. My advice is rent a car. Even with driving being tough with the thousands of tourists packed everywhere on mopeds, motorcycles, tiny cars, it is so much better than trying to find a taxi.

Today, I spend 3 hours to get a taxi to take me 4 miles...just too hot and dangerous to walk.

I had to go store to store ans ask after I finallu wapked into a supermarket, the owner called his friend that owns a transfer service, pay cash to get a ride. No uber, taxis or any app or service anywhere.

Please share your tips if you have any, about how to find a taxi in Santorini?

You must visit the hot springs in Santorini

The Hot Springs in Santorini are one of the best natural springs that you can go to in Greece. They are heated by the islands volcano that is underneath the ocean, causing the springs to be extremely warm and offer a very relaxing experience. There are two small islands near Santorini in which you can be able to access the Hot Springs. You will need to take a boat to Nea Kameni or Palea Kameni. You will notice that the water is slightly yellow, but this is because it has a higher amount of sulphur than regular seawater, so no need to be alarmed. I hope you enjoy the Hot Springs!

Where to explore the history of Santorini

Santorini has such a deep and rich history that definitely should be explored on your next trip to the island. The Ancient Byzantine Castle is one of the best places to start your exploration of the history of the island. The Byzantine Empire played one of the most influential roles in the culture in history of ancient Greece. The empire was led by Christian rulers, who spread the Greek orthodox religion throughout the country. You can also visit the Akrotiri Archaeological Site which shows ruins from the bronze age, dating back to 1600 BC. Safe travels!

Yes, Santorini is as beautiful as they say

Today was my first day in Santorini and I must say I was astounded. I was worried that there was a lot of hype around the island, and that it might not be as nice as they say but I was wrong. It’s absolutely stunning. I believe that everyone should try and go in their lifetime.

4AF80C52-DB66-48DB-83C3-1CD1F1981FC9.jpeg

Is Santorini actually overrated?

I keep hearing this statement over and over....and I'm kind of confused. I loved Santorini when I went, as you can see in my profile picture. I loved riding the donkeys with my kids and exploring the island. I get that its crowded and a little overpriced but I think it was an unforgettable experience. I wouldn't have taken it back and gone to another island! What are your thoughts for those that have been?
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter