1 - 10 of 10 Posts

nm1999

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?

Reactions: Hash

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
WOW what a big question to ask LOL!

Here are several topics to consider (that quickly come to mind!):

- Top Inventions from Ancient Greece
- History of the Biggest Military Battles of Ancient Greece
- Top Ancient Greek Plays
- History of coin money that was created in ancient Greece
- History of the Athens Acropolis
- Where Was Ancient Greece Exactly?
- Biography of Alexander the Great
- Biography of Plato

Hope this helps with topic brainstorming for your history paper! 🇬🇷 🇬🇷

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

I think World War 2 or the Independence from the Ottoman Empire are major moments in Greek history

amygdalE

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?
For the highest level of research difficulty: The Greek invention of Man [not of gods or of heroes]. The primary sources would have to be some philosophers, poets, and historians in ancient history. On second thought, this would be a good topic for a doctoral thesis or dissertation. Never mind.// This topic would also be good for a thread in WG, to which various members could contribute.

Last edited:
The forgotten Greek Islands of Tenedos and Imvros, that the Turks haven't given back after the war.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

The forgotten Greek Islands of Tenedos and Imvros, that the Turks haven't given back after the war.
I’ve never heard of this….will look into it now thanks! Is this well known?

Reactions: mastichas09

mastichas09

k_tsoukalas

Ohi Day is one of them. The Battle of Crete is another. How about something on how Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire maybe a week before the rest of Greece was on board?

k_tsoukalas

Check out this webinar about the Greek immigrant experience

Excellent webinar, describes a Greek immigrant experience in the United States. Presentation is brought by the Hellenic-American Cultural Center & Museum and includes interviews and presentations by experts and professionals. Absolute favourite part of the presentation was looking at the images from the historical archives which show images dating back to the 1900's. I hope you all enjoy it!

My favorite Greek poem by Aristotle

This is one of my favourite Greek forms by the same as ancient Greek poet Aristotle. I always read it when I'm feeling lonely and in the mood for some inspiration. I remember first reading Aristotle when I was in high school, and I was always captivated by his words in his poems. To this day, so many years later, his words still ring true and I'm still moved by them. What are your favourite palms by Aristotle?

Hymn To Virtue by Aristotle

Virtue, to men thou bringest care and toil;
Yet art thou life's best, fairest spoil!
O virgin goddess, for thy beauty's sake
To die is delicate in this our Greece,
Or to endure of pain the stern strong ache.
Such fruit for our soul's ease
Of joys undying, dearer far than gold
Or home or soft-eyed sleep, dost thou unfold!
It was for thee the seed of Zeus,
Stout Herakles, and Leda's twins, did choose
Strength-draining deeds, to spread abroad thy name:
Smit with the love of thee
Aias and Achilleus went smilingly
Down to Death's portal, crowned with deathless fame.
Now, since thou art so fair,
Leaving the lightsome air.
Atarneus' hero hath died gloriously.
Wherefore immortal praise shall be his guerdon:
His goodness and his deeds are made the burden
Of songs divine
Sung by Memory's daughters nine,
Hymning of hospitable Zeus the might
And friendship firm as fate in fate's despite

Agries Melisses is a fantastic Greek tv show about the military occupation

This TV show is making waves in Greece! It is a drama about the military junta that happened in the 1960's and 70's in Greece and shows the lives of different families who are with and against the government. It is a good show to watch with family (older kids) to learn about Greek history and culture. There is a bit of politics and a bit of romance so everyone can watch and be captivated. The show airs on ANT1!

To Kokkino Potami is the best historical Greek TV show

To Kokkino Potami (Red River) is the best tv show in Greece at the moment! It's super high budget and has amazing Greek actors. The show has only one season and follows the story of the Greek genocide and specifically Pontians (Greek ethnic group) that happened throughout the 1900's. The show is fantastic and I hope they release more seasons. Is anyone watching this show??
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter