1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greggd12

I'm not super well versed in politics, so I don't know much about the differences between a Prime Minister and a president. How did Greece come to have both? I'm much more used to the American political system where we only have a president. Do all countries with a premature minister also have a president? I appreciate your comments and explanations! Thanks so much everyone.

Vangelis

I'm by no means a political expert but I do live in a country with a similar political system. In Australia, we have a "head of state" who is called the Governor General (equivalent to Greece's President) and our Prime Minister is basically a leader of one of the political parties. The GG tends to be more politically independent and in Australia (just like the President in Greece) they are nominated by the Prime MInister and agreed to by a 2/3 vote in parliament - they are not voted in by the people. The people vote in the Prime Minister and consequently they have much more power to make day to day decisions about the country. The GG in Australia and the President in Greece have much more of a ceremonial role. The reason why Australia does not yet have a President is because we are still a "British colony" therefore the Governor General is the Queen's representative in Australia. Greece was lucky to get rid of its Monarchy system a long time ago so their head of state is the President.

If you are comparing to America, in simple terms, the Prime Minister is equivalent to the President in that they are voted in by the public and they have the power to make decisions for the country.

I hope I haven't confused you even more!

Jerry s

The president, is head of state and the prime minister is head of government.
The president is elected for a five-year term by the Hellenic Parliament in a special session at least a month before the incumbent's term expires. The president is elected by the parliament, it can take up to 5 rounds in order to get sufficient majority .

k_tsoukalas

The history of medicine in Ancient Greece

Ancient medicine played a major role in Ancient Greek life and has made major impacts on the medical community even today. Hippocrates was one of the main leaders of the early discoveries of medicine in Ancient Greece. He believed that disease is a normal part of human life and that we can use the strengths of the body to heal disease within, by encouraging certain functions to heal the ailments. This was a revolutionary way of thinking about the human body and medicine!

What is the difference between the Roman and Byzantine empire?

This is something that has always confused me. I've seen people use the words Roman and Byzantine interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure that the Roman empire was led by the Italians, and the Byzantine empire by the Greeks/Romans. Does anyone see my confusion here? And is someone able to clarify?

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

The most famous byzantine style buildings!

Byzantine architecture is one of the hallmarks of Greek buildings, especially churches and holy sites. Some of the most famous Byzantine style buildings include the Hagia Sophia (of course), Hagia Irene, Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica, and the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian. These buildings have striking Byzantine architecture with beautiful domes on top and ornate designs inside. I can't wait to visit one day.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter