1 - 4 of 4 Posts

mj_toronto8

Hi guys! What is the significance of Greek Independence Day (March 25)?

Reactions: voula_slat

voula_slat

Independence day celebrates the separation of Greece from the Ottoman empire. Greece was struggling for over 400 years to gain independence, and finally in 1821 they became an independent state.

nickstamoulis

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions: dimi_pat

Marianna

Independence day celebrates the separation of Greece from the Ottoman empire. Greece was struggling for over 400 years to gain independence, and finally in 1821 they became an independent state.
It states the start of the revolution against the dominance of Ottoman empire. This is not the exact date that started, they chosed this date to coincide with the great chistianic holiday of Eyaggelismoy tis Theotokou. It is not an intependence Day, it is the 'revolution start'
Hi guys! What is the significance of Greek Independence Day (March 25)?

Reactions: dimi_pat

Apparently there was a pandemic in ancient Athens!

While I was doing some research about the pandemic I realize that they were actually way more common than I had thought. Little did I know that one of my favorite historical periods, ancient Greece, how to play they killed some really famous historical figures. How come no one told me this? Did any of you know about this???

What are the biggest influences of the Byzantine empire in Greece?

I'm not a historian but I'm super curious about what impact the Byzantine empire has had on Greece's culture and overall history.

What is the difference between ancient Greek and ancient Roman architecture?

I've noticed so many similarities, but when it comes down to it: what are the differences between the two architecture styles?

Did the "siesta" or Greek mid day nap originate from Ancient Greece?

Does anyone know about the origins of the famous mid day nap that Greeks take?

What is the history of philotimo?

It's crazy to think that something I've come to value so much about modern Greek people is actually from the ancient Greeks. Does anyone know where, when or from whom the concept of philotimo emerged in Ancient Greece?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter