1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I know that the marathon originated in ancient Greece...but what is the history and how did we end up with the modern day marathon?

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

k_tsoukalas

This article goes over the history - it is very interesting!

More than one Minoan Palace on Crete?

I didn't realize that Knossos wasn't the only Minoan Palace on Crete, but from what I understand it might be the largest?

I am planning a trip to Crete soon to see some of the ruins and here is where I plan to visit - did I miss anything?

1. Archaeological Museum of Athens
2. Knossos Palace
3. Malia
4. Phaistos
5. Zakros

Are there any other museums I should visit? I am learning about Minoan culture...

How Egypt influenced Ancient Greece

Ancient Egypt and Greece hav had so much influence over each other, perhaps more than any other ancient civilizations. This article specifically focuses on the impact of Egypt on Ancient Greece.

Did you know about Ukraines historical Greek community?

Greeks are all over the world! Even in Ukraine, making them more vulnerable to the war that is going on right now between Ukraine and Russia. This Greek minority has been in Ukraine since Ionians came from the city of Miletus in Asia Minor in around 7th century BC. They settled in an area called Mariupul which as named after the Virgin Mary. Over time these Greeks developed their own culture and dialects, but unfortunately many have been forced to leave ever since the war.

Fascinated by Minoan culture and I want to learn more...

I am festinated by the Minoan culture. I saw photos of the Knossos Palace, as well as some of the Frescos, and I realized that I want to learn more about them. I know, I can read history books or look it up online. But, I am talking about experiencing it first hand. Do you guys have any recommendations? I was thinking to visit Crete and seeing some of the ruins... are there any tours you can recommend?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube