1 - 3 of 3 Posts

toniiv

I love ancient Greece and the olympics!! What is the history of the games and when did it become an international event?

Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

This is according to history.com "The Olympic Games, which originated in ancient Greece as many as 3,000 years ago, were revived in the late 19th century and have become the world's preeminent sporting competition"

k_tsoukalas

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

More than one Minoan Palace on Crete?

I didn't realize that Knossos wasn't the only Minoan Palace on Crete, but from what I understand it might be the largest?

I am planning a trip to Crete soon to see some of the ruins and here is where I plan to visit - did I miss anything?

1. Archaeological Museum of Athens
2. Knossos Palace
3. Malia
4. Phaistos
5. Zakros

Are there any other museums I should visit? I am learning about Minoan culture...

The Battle Between The Walls 392 BCE

In February 392 BCE, blood flowed through the streets of Corinth. The citizens of this great metropolis had turned on one another in an act of unforgiving bloodshed. Those in favour of continuing the war with Sparta initiated the violence and those advocating for peace were their victims. Sickened by the slaughter; two Corinthian men, Pasimelus and Alcimenes fled the city. Risking life and limb they escaped the carnage by swimming along a swollen watercourse, heading for the Spartan base at Sikyon.

To learn more follow the link below

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-7

How Egypt influenced Ancient Greece

Ancient Egypt and Greece hav had so much influence over each other, perhaps more than any other ancient civilizations. This article specifically focuses on the impact of Egypt on Ancient Greece.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube