1 - 7 of 7 Posts

efhernandez_

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!

ellinasgolfer0320

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.
I would recommend pentozali, it’s one of the most popular Cretan dances.

Reactions: francescool

Jawge

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!
I think the syrto is a good start.

lalajess

I would learn the Syrto. The traditional bride song is a Syrto (this song):

Patisqua

Sousta. Most islands and providebces have there own version. Usually 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Kastellorizians ven have a "wedding song" for the sousta - Mana hara. Patisqua

francescool

A beautiful Cretan wedding

Cretan wedding traditions are probably the most elaborate out of all the regions in Greece. It's one of the only cultures that still holds onto their wedding traditions so strongly. I personally can't wait to go to a Cretan wedding and experience all of this in person. If you are from Crete, please let me know if you had some of the traditions at your wedding!

What are your favorite wedding favors?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

Did you know about the Greek New Years tradition of hanging onions on doors?

In Greece, there are many different New Year's traditions and some of them vary by location and the specific culture of the region. Most of them bring good luck and health for the new year, especially this onion tradition. Across all of Greece, families will hang a yellow onion on their door as a symbol of good luck. They will usually do this after the church service on New Year's Day. While not all families do this, you may see it next time you visit Greece in January, look out for it!

What is considered taboo in Greek culture?

Every culture has their taboos and stuff that isn't really talked about or normalized. I am wondering what is considered taboo in Greece, and what I should avoid bringing up, or maybe only bring up with caution. Or if there's anything that I should avoid doing because I don't wanna offend anyone. Thank you so much, your advice is very much appreciated. I think it's very important to know these things before travelling to any country!

What is the process of having a political wedding in Greece?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be having a wedding in a church, so I am wondering what the process is of having a political or non-religious wedding in Greece. I know that the reception will be a classic reception, but is there someone who can officiate a wedding regardless of religion? And is this done for people who don't live in Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter