1 - 9 of 9 Posts

efhernandez_

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!

ellinasgolfer0320

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.
I would recommend pentozali, it’s one of the most popular Cretan dances.

Reactions: francescool

Jawge

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!
I think the syrto is a good start.

lalajess

I would learn the Syrto. The traditional bride song is a Syrto (this song):

Patisqua

Sousta. Most islands and providebces have there own version. Usually 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Kastellorizians ven have a "wedding song" for the sousta - Mana hara. Patisqua

francescool

k_tsoukalas

I think a good place to start, as well, is to ask the couple which songs will be playing, or which dances they usually dance, so that you can dance the right dances in advance. I mean, there are thousands of dances in Greece and it all depends on where they're from...

Sandyrigo

The most popular in the US is Kalamatiano. When my daughter got married in the G.O.C in Chicago, many in the wedding party and on the grooms side were not familiar with Greek traditions. She decided to have a casual rehearsal dinner in the church gym with the bridal party, their significant others and the grooms close family that were traveling in from out of town. After the dinner, she and her closest Greek friends gave everyone dance lessons. The wedding for both the Greeks and and non-Greeks was a blast.

Reactions: blopez34

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Check out this basic Greek etiquette video

I'm not sure if I agree with all the points that have been made in the video, but I do think that Greeks have a very specific culture and etiquette amongst themselves that is not really known to outsiders. I've been to Greece a few times, and my understanding of the culture is pretty good. What I have noticed is that Greeks can be extremely hospitable, but I have happened upon some rude people as well. For the most part, it really depends on the person.

Great news! My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is being filmed

This was first posted on Nia Vardalos' instagram! I'm so excited to see the third movie and what the writers and actors have come up with. Of course, nothing is going to beat the original, which I absolutely love. But, it is nice to see Greeks on the big screen. What do you think? Are you excited?

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter