1 - 9 of 9 Posts

efhernandez_

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!

ellinasgolfer0320

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.
I would recommend pentozali, it’s one of the most popular Cretan dances.

Reactions: francescool

Jawge

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!
I think the syrto is a good start.

lalajess

I would learn the Syrto. The traditional bride song is a Syrto (this song):

Patisqua

Sousta. Most islands and providebces have there own version. Usually 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Kastellorizians ven have a "wedding song" for the sousta - Mana hara. Patisqua

francescool

k_tsoukalas

I think a good place to start, as well, is to ask the couple which songs will be playing, or which dances they usually dance, so that you can dance the right dances in advance. I mean, there are thousands of dances in Greece and it all depends on where they're from...

Sandyrigo

The most popular in the US is Kalamatiano. When my daughter got married in the G.O.C in Chicago, many in the wedding party and on the grooms side were not familiar with Greek traditions. She decided to have a casual rehearsal dinner in the church gym with the bridal party, their significant others and the grooms close family that were traveling in from out of town. After the dinner, she and her closest Greek friends gave everyone dance lessons. The wedding for both the Greeks and and non-Greeks was a blast.

Reactions: blopez34

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

When everyone has the same name, you gotta have some nicknames!

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

Greek Government Tradition of not being helpful, so how does one move ahead?

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter