1 - 8 of 8 Posts

nm1999

I don't really like taking taxis...what are the public transit options like? Thanks :)

Vangelis

I don't really like taking taxis...what are the public transit options like? Thanks :)
The airport rail will take you all the way into Athens. Just make sure you are aware of everyone around you and keep your luggage close to you. Otherwise, should be all good! I've used this before and haven't had a problem.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Reactions: Vangelis

ellinasgolfer0320

Very slow, but easy to use. I once took the metro from the airport to syntagma.

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

greek_ggirl

There is a subway and buses going to and from the airport. You can get into downtown Athens but im not too sure about other places

Brimax

Rail or bus are easy, there are buses that will take you directly to Syntagma square and the rail can take you directly to join the metro

Reactions: acamp7
Best hello and welcome to Hellas is a taxi ride from the airport.
BUT MUST BE A REAL GREEK taxi driver not a xenos

k_tsoukalas

It's easy to use and most of the time, it's reliable. I've heard of people having some interesting detours. Some people that I know - one time they were taking a bus to the airport and the driver decided to take a detour to get a coffee without telling the passengers, and everyone was just sitting there on the bus . My friends were nervous they'd miss their flight. The Greeks on the bus weren't bothered and thought it was normal. Personally, I prefer either renting a car and driving myself or taking a taxi.

A walking tour of Lavrio, Greece

Lavrio is the coastal town in the southeastern part of Attica which is the region where Athens is located. This is a great place to visit if you want to go to restaurants and shop around, but also be by the water. Personally, I get pretty tired of staying in downtown Athens because there's not much of a breeze and I can't get to the beach very quickly. This is only super easy if you're renting a car, otherwise you can get to the beach or visit closer beach areas like Glyfada.

Up-to-date Athens Festival Guide!

What time of the year is the best to visit Athens?

According to the forum, many people recommend that I don’t visit Athens during August, because many of the locals have gone on vacation and the city is pretty empty. That being said… when is the best time to visit? I am definitely interested in seeing the acropolis and the museums, but I am wondering when the best time of year is to see the city life.

Youve never seen Athens like this before

Athens is the most stunning city in the world. Never has there been a city that blends Ancient ruins and modern architecture so beautifully. This drone only captures parts of how beautiful this city is. If you're visiting Athens, I recommend that you take your time and explore all parts of the city, both ancient ruins and modern nightlife. Some of the must see places are the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum of course, and having a coffee at the museum cafe where you will have an excellent view of the acropolis.

You should visit the Port town of Lavrio near Athens

Lavrio is one of the best beachside places to visit near Athens. It's a bit of a drive so you'll need to rent a car or take a bus. There are excellent beaches and tavernas there and you can also visit the neighbouring town of Sounio where the famous Grecotel hotel is located. Since it is a tourist location, Lavrio has a bunch of water sport activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat rentals and many more. it's a great two day trip if you're wanting to get away from the city life.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter