1 - 5 of 5 Posts

mastichas09

I know Athens has a fabulous subway system, but I don't know much about Thessaloniki....is it easy to get around using buses? Is there even a subway? I don't plan on renting a car but I'd love to explore some of the key spots on the outskirts of the city that are difficult to get to on foot.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Reactions: nm1999

ladytina

It's very easy to get around, as long as you figure out how to navigate the map. It's pretty reliable, too, and I've never had a problem. If you have a specific destination in mind, though, you might want to consider getting a taxi. Not every place is easy to get to using transportation.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

It's very easy to get around, as long as you figure out how to navigate the map. It's pretty reliable, too, and I've never had a problem. If you have a specific destination in mind, though, you might want to consider getting a taxi. Not every place is easy to get to using transportation.
I would recommend getting data on your phone (if you have a smart phone) and using it for navigation. Google maps in Greece is pretty accurate

k_tsoukalas

I would recommend getting data on your phone (if you have a smart phone) and using it for navigation. Google maps in Greece is pretty accurate
I second this advice! Google Maps is pretty good - I used it last time I was in Greece a few years ago and it worked well.

Have you heard about the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki?

This museum is lesser known but I've heard amazing things from friends who have visited! There is a very interesting exhibit that is currently being put on titled "Visualizing humanity." It is the first project by the Network of Contemporary Culture Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports. I really would love to visit this exhibit since it showcases the phases of life and culture, mainly inspired by important moments in Greek history. There are four "chapters" in the exhibition, my favorite concept (whiteout seeing it of course) is Feels Like Home. :)

What neighborhoods do you recommend that I visit in Thessaloniki?

I’m only planning on going to Thessaloniki for a couple of days so I’m wondering what would be the best neighborhoods to visit. Personally, I’m not looking for anything super touristy. I like to go out to eat and shop around, and usually go back to my hotel around 10pm, so not much nightlife for me. Let me know what you all think!!

Fantastic exhibition happening at the Thessaloniki Museum of Byzantine Culture

This exhibition is titled "Philhellenisms, 1780-1860" and covers this crucial time period in Greek history during the Byzantine empire. The exhibition will showcase many different mediums of art including important texts from the time. The president of Greece will be attending to open up the exhibition, just showing how important and beautiful it will be to showcasing Greek history. I will be excited to visit soon!

Try bougatsa, Thessalonikis best breakfast food

Thessaloniki has one of the most popular breakfast foods in Greece! Bougatsa is a custard filled phyllo pastry with cinnamon and powdered sugar on top. The pastry is from Thessaloniki but is eaten in most regions in Northern Greece and you can find it in other areas of Greece as well.
5A083FCF-5DEE-4139-8EFD-3B8BB9E9853E.jpeg

The new Hellenic Temples

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter