1 - 6 of 6 Posts

nadellii

I know that many European countries are very different than the university and college system in the United States. What is the process for entering into a university in Greece? And are the universities and colleges open to international students? I would love to hear from any Greek students or international student studying in Greece.

ellinasgolfer0320

In high school you start preparing for panellinies (similar to the ACT/SAT for college) about 1-2 years in advance. Panellinies is a series of 4-5 tests that you're required to take to get into college, but the path you choose to study in high school determines the type of subjects on your tests for Panellinies. Your overall score on panellinies will determine which college and ultimately what career you have. A medical school will say "we only accept a panellinies score of 20" and a school to become a police office might have a score of 15. After you receive your score, in August you will check to see what scores each college is requiring for admittance into the school - each year this score changes because it's based on how everyone does in Greece that year. The max score is 20.

What's different about Greece than other countries like the USA, AUS, or CAN is that you don't need an undergraduate degree to become a doctor or a lawyer. Once you graduate high school, and if your panellinies score is high enough, you can go straight to medical school or law school.

Can international students go to college in Greece? Yes, but most colleges will require you to speak fluent Greek, but there are some colleges that are English speaking (e.g. American College of Thessaloniki).

Ask away with questions. My SO, took panellinies, went to college in Greece, and graduated from a college there. She graduated a few years ago, so she's fairly up-to-date on how the system works.

Also, something random, you can legally drop out of school at 15 in Greece and not finish high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: acamp7

Damiano

I heard that in the last year of high school there is a big final test, there are final tests in the other years too or just in the last one?
Also what university faculties there are in Athens?

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I heard that in the last year of high school there is a big final test, there are final tests in the other years too or just in the last one?
Also what university faculties there are in Athens?
Yes, this test is called the "panellinies" that is mentioned above. I'm not sure if it is in the last two years or just the last one...I think they have changed it a few times throughout the years.

Reactions: Damiano

acamp7

In high school you start preparing for panellinies (similar to the ACT/SAT for college) about 1-2 years in advance. Panellinies is a series of 4-5 tests that you're required to take to get into college, but the path you choose to study in high school determines the type of subjects on your tests for Panellinies. Your overall score on panellinies will determine which college and ultimately what career you have. A medical school will say "we only accept a panellinies score of 20" and a school to become a police office might have a score of 15. After you receive your score, in August you will check to see what scores each college is requiring for admittance into the school - each year this score changes because it's based on how everyone does in Greece that year. The max score is 20.

What's different about Greece than other countries like the USA, AUS, or CAN is that you don't need an undergraduate degree to become a doctor or a lawyer. Once you graduate high school, and if your panellinies score is high enough, you can go straight to medical school or law school.

Can international students go to college in Greece? Yes, but most colleges will require you to speak fluent Greek, but there are some colleges that are English speaking (e.g. American College of Thessaloniki).

Ask away with questions. My SO, took panellinies, went to college in Greece, and graduated from a college there. She graduated a few years ago, so she's fairly up-to-date on how the system works.

Also, something random, you can legally drop out of school at 15 in Greece and not finish high school.
I personally completely agree with the fact that people go straight into law school or medical school. Why waste so much time on taking "core classes" like you do in the United States. Some skills are so unnecessary for these jobs but the American schools force you to take them as a part of your first year curriculum. I think it's just a way for American colleges to get money because they're technically businesses and not public universities like in Greece

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting - sounds so different from the education system in the United States!

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

Did you know that many Greek people dont have registries for their weddings?

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter