I had a typical Greek-Australian upbringing in that my family came from Greece but trips back and forth growing up amounted to visiting friends and family. I really haven't seen much of the country and all that it has to offer. As an adult, I want to start visiting some of the places in Greece I really should see, but haven't had a chance. So, here's my list. What do you think I should add to it?
1. Visit the Parthenon - would you believe I've never really explored it? Usually we fly into Athens and then quickly move on to our destination.
2. Santorini - Again, I've never been. I want to go and see what all the fuss is about.
3. Kefalonia - I love hiking, and I heard this is a great island to explore nature?
4. Meteora - I've seen photos - it looks phenomenal and worth the trip.
5. Hydra - the fact that they don't allow cars here intrigues me - I know it's a day trip from Athens, but maybe it would be worth staying?
Any advice you give can help me plan a bit of a touristy trip to Greece. I do still have family and friends to visit, but I want to carve out some time to actually explore some places I have never been.
I am considering retiring in Greece and I am trying to figure out where to settle. Someone gave some really great advice in another thread to find where there are strong expat communities. I think this is a great idea! Now, my question is, where are there some great communities? Here is a look at my initial findings. Agree, disagree, have anything to add?
Athens - I suppose this makes sense, since it is the country's biggest city.
Peloponnese - I like the idea of living here, but I am not sure if it is too far away from places.
Corfu - Seems like there are more expats here than other Greek islands? I could be wrong ...
I love Thessaloniki. There's also so much history! These museums I can visit over and over again. Those of you who know a lot about this city - please leave your tip choices! I always enjoy trying new things:
1. Archeological Museum
2. War Museum
3. Thessaloniki Museum of Photography (such talent on display!)
4. Byzantine Culture Museum
Aside from that, always love being near the White Tower - it's such a classic, iconic landmark.
Tremendous effort by all concerned,I sincerely hope that Greek Tourism Authorities and Greek Government as PM Mitsotakis has already stated to pay the workers in Tourism Industry fairly and treat them humanely!