1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

k_tsoukalas

This is a classic. I forgot about this song and how lovely it is!

Greeces long tradition of making leather sandals

Greeks have been wearing sandals since the ancient times. The tradition continues to this day, where so many groups have leather workshops. If you walk around the streets of any touristic city in Greece, you will see dozens of shoe stores with leather sandals, bags, and belts. If you were visiting, I recommend you check them out and see if you like any of the styles.

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Great news! My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is being filmed

This was first posted on Nia Vardalos' instagram! I'm so excited to see the third movie and what the writers and actors have come up with. Of course, nothing is going to beat the original, which I absolutely love. But, it is nice to see Greeks on the big screen. What do you think? Are you excited?

Check out this basic Greek etiquette video

I'm not sure if I agree with all the points that have been made in the video, but I do think that Greeks have a very specific culture and etiquette amongst themselves that is not really known to outsiders. I've been to Greece a few times, and my understanding of the culture is pretty good. What I have noticed is that Greeks can be extremely hospitable, but I have happened upon some rude people as well. For the most part, it really depends on the person.

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter