1 - 13 of 13 Posts

ssherie_

I'm trying to plan my itinerary and I want to hit up as many cities in Crete as possible. What are your favorites? :)

nickstamoulis

Administrator
Staff member
Great question!

In no particular order here are some of the top cities to visit in Crete:
- Chania
- Heraklion
- Rethymmo
- Lassithi

chania-crete-720x480.jpeg

RogerC

My personal favourite is Chania but one of the great joys of Crete is its diversity! To be honest I would suggest limiting how many places you sim to visit on your first trip - distances are short and roads are good but you don’t progress quickly over the mountains. Suggest taking it slowly, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the great food, lovely people and stunning scenery - it’s all too good to rush 😀

dimi_pat

My personal favourite is Chania but one of the great joys of Crete is its diversity! To be honest I would suggest limiting how many places you sim to visit on your first trip - distances are short and roads are good but you don’t progress quickly over the mountains. Suggest taking it slowly, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the great food, lovely people and stunning scenery - it’s all too good to rush 😀
Which two or three locations would you recommend to see during a trip to Crete?

Reactions: Islamorada2015

RogerC

I would stay in or near Chania, hire a car and drive west coast route down to Elafonisi beach, go over the mountains to south coast at Chora Stakia and maybe Paleochora, visit Knossos (busy in peak season), go to Aptera (nearby Chania and fantastic). There are amazing drives through the mountains and some of the best scenery you could hope for

sunanastasia

All crete is beutifull but the best place is Agios Nikolaos in Lassithi !

Pete

I think all of crete has much to offer. All of us having a favourite place. Mine I prefer the smaller villages more family oriented. As I live some of the time there I've seen only a bit of the island even after 13 years loving everything each time I go ❤

I would stay in or near Chania, hire a car and drive west coast route down to Elafonisi beach, go over the mountains to south coast at Chora Stakia and maybe Paleochora, visit Knossos (busy in peak season), go to Aptera (nearby Chania and fantastic). There are amazing drives through the mountains and some of the best scenery you could hope for
Elafonisi beach is a must see! I went to Chania and Rethymno when I visited, it was just enough to get a full taste of what Crete has to offer.

ChiltonPhil

I'm trying to plan my itinerary and I want to hit up as many cities in Crete as possible. What are your favorites? :)
Chania; Rethymnon

d_kakavouli

Jim Cahoon

Jim Cahoon

MATALA! Though hardly a city it's where I fell in love with Greece. Featured in a mid-sixties Life magazine article it embodied the history and simple life and food that I came to love.

Reactions: nickstamoulis

tomipark

MATALA! Though hardly a city it's where I fell in love with Greece. Featured in a mid-sixties Life magazine article it embodied the history and simple life and food that I came to love.
Woooah these caves in Matala look unreal, I've never heard of it before thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be headed there

How can I experience history up close in Crete?

I am thinking of going on some historical tours and visiting museums in Crete. Do you have any advice for some good historical sites to visit? I’m looking for something a bit more experiential. I love history but my husband isn’t so into it. Any advice?

What are your traveling tips for couples visiting Crete?

My girlfriend and I are thinking of taking a romantic trip around some Greek isalnds this summer after our trip to Italy. Do you have any ideas about what would be fun for couples?

What is Cretan culture like?

I love getting to know the specific culture of the places I travel to. I've heard that Crete is pretty unique! What's special about Crete that I can't experience anywhere else?

What are your favorite beaches in Rethymno, Crete?

Hey everyone, i’m planning a trip to Rethymno after graduating from college this summer, what are the best beaches for me to visit?

Traditional Greek Music

Does anyone know the names of some Greek kids songs? The kind that may be sung in elementary school?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter