1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nadellii

Mezze is the ultimate Greek style of eating. If you didn’t know, mezze is similar to Spanish tapas. It’s when you order smaller plates for everyone at the table to share. Personally, my favorite mezze is fried calamari. You really can’t go wrong with it! What about you?

Reactions: Jawge

Tpebop

fried calamari on its own does not make a mezze.you need at least 6 plates of different items.say cheese balls, meat balls, stuffed vine leaves, gigantes, fried fetta cheese & olives.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

The Greek ouzo meze is part of the drinking experience as it helps you drink ouzo or raki without getting intoxicated. More about the meze below. Yes, you need more that 5 items to make a meze. In the past, when I was young, I remember a tiny plate with cheese, meatball, sardine, tomato, cucumber, bread and olive (for my grandfather's ouzaki). https://www.thegreekvibe.com/the-greek-meze-its-story/

ellinasgolfer0320

Saganaki me meli kai sousami (Saganaki with honey and sesame).

Kalamaria is probably a close second.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

Saganaki me meli kai sousami (Saganaki with honey and sesame).

Kalamaria is probably a close second.
Is saganaki with honey and sesame popular all over Greece? I haven't seen it in every restaurant as I do plain saganaki

ellinasgolfer0320

Is saganaki with honey and sesame popular all over Greece? I haven't seen it in every restaurant as I do plain saganaki
Yes, it can be found all over. Most restaurants will have it on the menu.

Reactions: seleanor

Jawge

Mezze is the ultimate Greek style of eating. If you didn’t know, mezze is similar to Spanish tapas. It’s when you order smaller plates for everyone at the table to share. Personally, my favorite mezze is fried calamari. You really can’t go wrong with it! What about you?
Spanakopeta, fava, loukaniko, ...all are good and delicious.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Yesss loukaniko is the best!! Especially when it’s made fresh at the butcher.
Spanakopeta, fava, loukaniko, ...all are good and delicious.

k_tsoukalas

Anything that involves olives or octopus! Also, I sometimes enjoy loukoumades. Sometimes in bars/cafes in Greece they bring over loukoumades when you order a cocktail. Yummy!

How to make thick and creamy Santorini fava!

Santorini fava is a classic staple in Santorini cuisine, and it has spread all over Greece. The dish is very simple to make, and taste even better when you use high-quality ingredients like Greek olive oil. It is a very budget friendly meal, and can stay in the fridge for a few days without going bad. It can get a bit dry so I suggest squeezing some lemon and adding a bit more olive oil if you're going to eat it over the course of a few days. Here is how you make it:

What are your favorite Greek summer recipes?☀️

Now that summer is in full affect, I definitely want to start cooking some great Greek summer recipes! Does anyone have any Greek recipes that are perfect for summer, I'm looking for something light, fresh, and potentially made on the barbecue! If you're able to drop some recipe links, even better!

G is not only for Greece but Gastronomy— and gourmands:

What are some of the easiest Greek recipes?

I'm looking for something super simple to make this weekend. I'm so tired from a long work week and I just want something healthy and of course Greek to snack on. Does anyone have some super simple and easy Greek recipes that I can make at home?

How to spruce up your leftover keftedes!

I always find myself having leftover meatballs or keftedes need a bit of sprucing up the next day. What I like to do is make a tomato sauce with wine, and heat up the meatballs with the sauce so that they soak it up and don't stay dry. This is the recipe for the sauce

- sauté one onion and two garlic cloves with olive oil
- add half a jar of tomato paste
-add cumin, black pepper, ground clove and basil
-after all the spices have been cooked, add one cup of red wine
-once the wine is bubbling, add one jar of tomato sauce
-cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter