1 - 13 of 13 Posts

blopez34

Thought i'd share this question! There's too many to choose from :) in my opinion pastitsio can't be beat look at how decadent it is. What do you guys like??

pastitsio-720x479.jpg

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my favorite Greek food...Pasta Flora (Greek cookie with jam/jelly in the middle:
IMG_20151126_151759264.jpeg

Reactions: Hash

Vangelis

My favourite dish is Πιταρούδες

1623019191413.png

Laura48

Crispy spanakopita 💚

9E96786F-F660-4D88-8F2E-C200A005E5E7.jpeg

Reactions: paharo45

ellinasgolfer0320

I have a lot, and it depends on the time of day: zamponotiropita, kotopita, stifado me kouneli, giouvetsi, xtapodi, saganaki me meli kai sousami, mpougatsa, kokkinisto, souvlakia (not gyros), and gyros...

Reactions: paharo45 and Hash

Hash

I have a lot, and it depends on the time of day: zamponotiropita, kotopita, stifado me kouneli, giouvetsi, xtapodi, saganaki me meli kai sousami, mpougatsa, kokkinisto, souvlakia (not gyros), and gyros...
Kuchinaa Ellinika...... Bravo sas!.. used to eat stifado me kouneli in the winter months in Mykonou after some friends who used to hunting in the hills..... loved spicy saganaki too!... Efgharisto polee...

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

Reactions: Vangelis and Hash

ellinasgolfer0320

Is this like spanakopita?
I'm wondering the same. I don't know what it is.. I've never even heard the word before either.

Reactions: Vangelis and Hash

Linda554

Moussaka.. I could eat it every day in Greece.

mastichas09

I'm wondering the same. I don't know what it is.. I've never even heard the word before either.
Me neither! But it looks amaazing and so flaky with all of the layers

k_tsoukalas

I love Horiatiki (village salad), and Avgolemono soup. For dessert, my favorite are kourabedies:

kourabedies1-720x480.jpg

Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

Is this like spanakopita?
No, it's not like spanakopita. The ingredients are different and it is cooked differently. I'm not sure of all the ingredients but there is no cheese, plenty of spinach, celery leaves, parsley and lots of other greens (I have a list somewhere). The pastry is a single thin layer rolled by hand. The whole thing is cooked on a hotplate (I use a stainless steel hotplate on top of a gas stove) and then allowed to cook in its own steam by wrapping it in blankets for 1-2hrs. Then baste liberally with λαδολέμονο and you're done! Takes all morning to make them but they are worth it!

dubai_suzie

No, it's not like spanakopita. The ingredients are different and it is cooked differently. I'm not sure of all the ingredients but there is no cheese, plenty of spinach, celery leaves, parsley and lots of other greens (I have a list somewhere). The pastry is a single thin layer rolled by hand. The whole thing is cooked on a hotplate (I use a stainless steel hotplate on top of a gas stove) and then allowed to cook in its own steam by wrapping it in blankets for 1-2hrs. Then baste liberally with λαδολέμονο and you're done! Takes all morning to make them but they are worth it!
This sounds amazing and super fresh and herby! I will definitely try it out sometime soon :)

Reactions: Vangelis

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

"Greek-Style" Chicken Wings Question...

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.

Quick Greek-style pasta dishes?

Last time I was in Greece I ate a lot of pasta dishes. It seems like a common dish for every day cuisine. I had a version with Greek yogurt - I would love to learn how to make it! I also had something with an egg on it, someone told me it was from Mani? Does anyone know anything about these dishes? What other pasta dishes do Greeks eat?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube