1 - 4 of 4 Posts

d_kakavouli

I'm having a couple of friends over next weekend, and many of them are vegan. What are some good Greek appetizers that are vegan or can be made vegan? I've been doing some googling and many people say that there are quite a few vegan Greek recipes because many Greek people essentially eat vegan when they are fasting. Do you have any recommendations?

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

I'm having a couple of friends over next weekend, and many of them are vegan. What are some good Greek appetizers that are vegan or can be made vegan? I've been doing some googling and many people say that there are quite a few vegan Greek recipes because many Greek people essentially eat vegan when they are fasting. Do you have any recommendations?
I make tzatziki with Oatly vegan Greek yoghurt, amazing if you can get it. Also any good quality houmous and Lidl do tinned dolmades if you’re short of time or availability of ingredients. Pitta or flatbreads, good olives, courgette fritters, Greek salad with vegan feta.
This is a good little book if you’ve got time to get hold of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Taste-Greece-Cookbooks/dp/189776684X

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

I make tzatziki with Oatly vegan Greek yoghurt, amazing if you can get it. Also any good quality houmous and Lidl do tinned dolmades if you’re short of time or availability of ingredients. Pitta or flatbreads, good olives, courgette fritters, Greek salad with vegan feta.
This is a good little book if you’ve got time to get hold of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Taste-Greece-Cookbooks/dp/189776684X
Excellent recommendations, I tried a variation of xortopita and it was great! There was no need to add vegan cheese and I made the phyllo with olive oil. Super healthy and very popular amongst my vegan family members.

k_tsoukalas

Vegan stuffed grape leaves with rice and spices. Try this one:

How to make a refreshing watermelon drink for the summer!

Now that it's heating up, I thought it would be very helpful for everyone in the World Wide Greeks community to make a watermelon drink for the summer! Whether you are going to be in Greece or in your home country, you can still make this drink. I must say though, that the water melons in Greece can't be beat! The recipe is very simple, and doesn't require much preparation. Here it is...

-Cut up 1 whole watermelon and blend in a blender in batches
-If the mixture is very thick, you can add water to your liking so that it is more like a juice rather than a smoothie
-if you like, you can add many different flavour variations like mint, orange juice, or lemon. I prefer mint :)
-Strain to remove seeds
-Add ice and serve!

How to make the best french fries!

Even though they were popularized in the United States, french fries are a staple of Greek cuisine. The Greeks do them much better than anyone else! Greek french fries are thick cut, and always made fresh to order. We don't use frozen fries and we always fry them in high quality oil. Here is how to make the best Greek fries

Have you ever made a traditional Greek rabbit recipe?

Rabbit is considered a delicacy in Greece, even though it's not so popular today. There are many different variations of rabbit that are made in Greece, but the most popular is a rabbit stew. The stew consists of tomato, carrots, celery, a whole rabbit, onions, garlic, and spices such as rosemary, allspice, bay leaf, pepper, and salt. This is a great recipe that I have tried myself and I like to make every now and then when I can find rabbit at the butcher or farmers market.

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!

Recipes using feta cheese!

These are the best recipes that you can make from feta cheese! You can also sprinkle feta cheese on pretty much anything, but I like to incorporate it into these :) I like to use Greek feta cheese brands like dodonis, it's a traditional Greek brand that they now sell in the US

1. Tiropita
2. Briam with feta cheese
3. Feta saganaki
4. Whipped feta cheese dip
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter