1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

In Greek church, we light candles and make a prayer. Its one of my favourite traditions. Candles are usually at the front of the church and you usually add a few coins or dollars in the box besides the candles to "pay" for the candles.

holy-thursday-720x480.jpg

Reactions: Jawge

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
"I am the light of the world; he who follows me shall not walk in darkness; but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Lighting the candle is the light that guides you as you enter church.
The coins that you refer to "to pay for the candle" is incorrect. Placing "money in the box" is an offering to the church, if you give nothing, something or a lot, this is entirely up to you.
The most important thing is that you have to Gods home for prey. ✝️

Reactions: Hash and acamp7

acamp7

"I am the light of the world; he who follows me shall not walk in darkness; but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Lighting the candle is the light that guides you as you enter church.
The coins that you refer to "to pay for the candle" is incorrect. Placing "money in the box" is an offering to the church, if you give nothing, something or a lot, this is entirely up to you.
The most important thing is that you have to Gods home for prey. ✝️
Beautiful, this is very true, thanks for sharing

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Beautiful, this is very true, thanks for sharing
I used to light a candle nearly every day on my way through the streets in Mykonos to the Delos Port, stopping by different churches on the way,a quiet moment,a silent wish,a few deep thoughts, letting go of a few, understanding meaning of life, living for the day, hoping and looking forward to whatever lays ahead during the busy summer season...a few coins of offering.. ❤️❤️🙏🙏!

What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

I know its a little early (Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived yet) but Im already too excited and preparing for Christmas!! What are your favorite Greek Christmas traditions?? :)

What do Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving?

This question is out of pure curiotisty! What do my fellow Greek-Americans and Greek-Canadians do for thanksgiving? Do you eat turkey? Do you even celebrate?

Vocabulary words that you need to know if you are going to the beach in Greece!

These are going to be super helpful when you're going to the beach in Greece!

• Swimsuit – το μαγιό – to mayio
  • Red (black, blue, etc) Swimsuit – το κόκκινο (μαύρο, μπλε, etc) μαγιό – to kokkino (mavro, ble, etc) mayio
  • Beach – η παραλία – I paralia
  • Ocean – ο ωκεανός – o okeanos
  • Mediterranean Sea – Η Μεσόγειος – I mesoyeeos
  • Sun – Ο ήλιος – o ilios
  • Sunglasses – τα γυαλιά Ηλιού – ta gyaliá Ilioú
  • Swimming – κολύμπι – kolimbi
  • Towel – πετσέτα – peseta
  • Seashell – το κοχύλι – to kohili
  • Suntan – το μαύρισμα – to mavrisma
  • Palm Tree – το φοίνικα – to finika
  • Life Guard – ο ναυαγοσώστης – o navagosóstis
  • Sunscreen – το αντηλιακό – to aftiliako
  • Bikini – το μπικίνι – to bikini

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

Is it customary for people to convert to Orthodoxy when marrying someone Greek?

When I married my husband, I didn't convert and we had a non religious wedding, but I am sort of considering converting now. There are a lot of aspects about Orthodoxy that appeal to me now that we've been together for many years and Ive learned more about the religion. Plus, our kids are Greek Orthodox so I think it would be nice if we were all the same religion officially. I was raised loosely Catholic, so I haven't practiced in years. I'm wondering what other couples have done and if anyone has experience marrying someone of another religion.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter