1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nadellii

In Greek church, we light candles and make a prayer. Its one of my favourite traditions. Candles are usually at the front of the church and you usually add a few coins or dollars in the box besides the candles to "pay" for the candles.

holy-thursday-720x480.jpg

Reactions: Jawge

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
"I am the light of the world; he who follows me shall not walk in darkness; but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Lighting the candle is the light that guides you as you enter church.
The coins that you refer to "to pay for the candle" is incorrect. Placing "money in the box" is an offering to the church, if you give nothing, something or a lot, this is entirely up to you.
The most important thing is that you have to Gods home for prey. ✝️

Reactions: Hash and acamp7

acamp7

"I am the light of the world; he who follows me shall not walk in darkness; but will have the light of life." John 8:12

Lighting the candle is the light that guides you as you enter church.
The coins that you refer to "to pay for the candle" is incorrect. Placing "money in the box" is an offering to the church, if you give nothing, something or a lot, this is entirely up to you.
The most important thing is that you have to Gods home for prey. ✝️
Beautiful, this is very true, thanks for sharing

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Beautiful, this is very true, thanks for sharing
I used to light a candle nearly every day on my way through the streets in Mykonos to the Delos Port, stopping by different churches on the way,a quiet moment,a silent wish,a few deep thoughts, letting go of a few, understanding meaning of life, living for the day, hoping and looking forward to whatever lays ahead during the busy summer season...a few coins of offering.. ❤️❤️🙏🙏!

k_tsoukalas

Lighting a candle is a nice moment when we enter the church. I often do it without thinking. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful of an activity is.

lalajess

Lighting a candle is a nice moment when we enter the church. I often do it without thinking. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful of an activity is.
I agree! When I enter a Greek church, I am always lighting a candle, but I don't put much thought into it.

Hash

I agree! When I enter a Greek church, I am always lighting a candle, but I don't put much thought into it.
It is about unconsciously and unconditionally sending light and love to the Universe and the giver of life to us all!.... ♥️🙏Kalley Mera from Thailand.... Happy Holidays.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

It is about unconsciously and unconditionally sending light and love to the Universe and the giver of life to us all!.... ♥️🙏Kalley Mera from Thailand.... Happy Holidays.
Happy Holidays!

Should I Bring Something to a Greek-Australian Dinner Party?

I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

Many Greeks are having their weddings and baptizing their children on the same day

This is becoming more and more popular as people are getting remarried or having children without being married. A few friends of mine have had their weddings and baptizes their children at the same time. It is a new tradition that is gaining popularity, although it is definitely not traditional and some Greek people may frown upon it. Personally, I see no problem in it and I love attending these ceremonies.

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter