1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Does anyone know what role Mani played in starting or encouraging Greece's independence? I love Mani! The region is so beautiful

mani.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

The Greek War for Independence actually started earlier in Mani (March 17, 1821) than it did for the rest of Greece (March 25, 2021) when Mani officially declared war against the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans constantly attacked Mani, hoping to finally gain a foothold there, but they were never able. Tired of the constant invasion attempts, Mani finally declared war. The rest of Greece followed over a week later, declaring war against the Ottomans on March 25th.

JayJayT

I think Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire about a week or so before the rest of Greece. Mani is looked at as a catalyst for the war, their boldness in declaring war as a region inspired the rest of Greece to follow suit. Fascinating part of Greek history!

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I think Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire about a week or so before the rest of Greece. Mani is looked at as a catalyst for the war, their boldness in declaring war as a region inspired the rest of Greece to follow suit. Fascinating part of Greek history!
That's a beautiful story, it must be very powerful and prideful to be from this region

JayJayT

That's a beautiful story, it must be very powerful and prideful to be from this region
I would be interested to hear how the people of Mani see it... I agree, the story is beautiful!

Reactions: kcixcy

Teaching Greek history to your kids

I've always wanted some great resources to teach my neices and nephews who are Greek about their history and I finally found some! Check out these links
PreviewPreview3:48Ancient Greece | Educational Videos for KidsYouTube · Happy Learning EnglishFeb. 19, 2019
Facts about Ancient Greece for kids | National Geographic Kidshttps://www.natgeokids.com › discover › history › greece

What is the history of the olympics?

I love ancient Greece and the olympics!! What is the history of the games and when did it become an international event?

Did you know that a Greek of Alexandria invented the steam engine?

What’s interesting about Hero’s invention is that he created it well before the Industrial Revolution that took place in parts of the world in the 1700’s and 1800’s. This means that the Ancient Greeks were capable of advanced mathematical, scientific, and mechanical thought, which enabled them to see the world differently. This was a huge advancement in society.

steam-engine-720x593.jpg

I love Byzantine architecture and history!

I feel like byzantine architecture and history is the essence of Greece. It's buildings like these that I absolutely love and instantly make me think of Greek culture :)

byzantine-greece-720x540.jpeg

Does your family have any personal stories from the Pontos?

I’ve heard a lot about the struggles Pontians have faced throughout Greek history and was wondering if any of your families have personal stories to share on this forum.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter