1 - 6 of 6 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Does anyone know what role Mani played in starting or encouraging Greece's independence? I love Mani! The region is so beautiful

mani.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member

k_tsoukalas

The Greek War for Independence actually started earlier in Mani (March 17, 1821) than it did for the rest of Greece (March 25, 2021) when Mani officially declared war against the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans constantly attacked Mani, hoping to finally gain a foothold there, but they were never able. Tired of the constant invasion attempts, Mani finally declared war. The rest of Greece followed over a week later, declaring war against the Ottomans on March 25th.

JayJayT

I think Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire about a week or so before the rest of Greece. Mani is looked at as a catalyst for the war, their boldness in declaring war as a region inspired the rest of Greece to follow suit. Fascinating part of Greek history!

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

I think Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire about a week or so before the rest of Greece. Mani is looked at as a catalyst for the war, their boldness in declaring war as a region inspired the rest of Greece to follow suit. Fascinating part of Greek history!
That's a beautiful story, it must be very powerful and prideful to be from this region

JayJayT

That's a beautiful story, it must be very powerful and prideful to be from this region
I would be interested to hear how the people of Mani see it... I agree, the story is beautiful!

Reactions: kcixcy

Did you know that dozens of ancient theaters are still operating in Greece?

Theater was a huge part of the ancient Greek civilization, and it's still important in modern Greece today. Greeks loves theater, and you were always see flyers for different shows going on. Many of these are presented in ancient amphitheatres that were built thousands of years ago. If you're in Greece, I really recommend that you check one out. There are even plays for young children.

Here is a list of showings around Greece: https://parallaximag.gr/theatro

You can use a google translate browser add on to translate the page.

Here is how Ancient Greeks celebrated the summer solstice

Perhaps this will give you some inspiration for your own celebration of the solstice! In many different ancient societies, solstices are an extremely important, including Ancient Greece. To celebrate the solstice, the ancient Greeks held a festival each year. The summer solstice was also used as a signifier as to win the Olympic games would be held.

Could the Parthenon marbles be returned to Greece?

There is finally some hope in the constant and ongoing battle to return the person on marbles from the United Kingdom to Greece. A new chairman has declared that there is a deal to be done in terms of the marbles. Many are very hopeful that this might be pointing to a potential return, but others have given up hope in this battle. personally, this is something that I would love to see. There are so many artifacts from around the world that are stolen and still being housed in museums in the United Kingdom. The right thing should be done, and the marbles should be returned, as should every other stolen artifact.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter