1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer for the first time, are there any customs I should be aware of? I'm so excited!!

ssherie_

This is a pretty typical Greek wedding! Lot's of fun and dancing! The only difference from other weddings is the religious ceremony

Reactions: voula_slat
Expect dancing and partying! We're known for our weddings and they're so much fun

k_tsoukalas

There are some cute traditions to be aware of, but nothing that you need to do yourself. One I really think is neat is that family and friends decorate the bridal bed as an expression of love and well wishing for the new couple, and to wish the couple luck in their life together. The tradition is referred to as "To Krevati".

What are your preparations for Holy Week?

What do you have planned? My family and I will be attending socially distanced church service and painting eggs! :) I'm so excited, I love this time of year

Greek festivals in Australia?

My Australian cousins are wondering if anyone knows of good Greek festivals happening this year. I thought this would be a great place to ask

Where can I buy Greek crosses online?

Do you have any good online jewelry stores where I can buy crosses?

What is your favorite Greek nursery rhyme?

I love to sing nursery rhymes to my younger cousins but the only ones I remember from my childhood are O Barba Brillos!

Dying Easter eggs

Traditionally Greeks dye their red eggs on the Thursday of Holy Week. Greeks are really into tradition. I'm wondering what other people have come up with as being easiest. It has taken years of analyzing the way that works best for me, so I thought I'd share.... So, when I was a kid my mother used Ritz red dye, and we used to EAT the eggs. It's a miracle we didn't get poisoned. Then I decided to use red food coloring and eggs came out pink, not the rich red symbolic of the blood of Christ. Then I discovered that the Greek store (I go to Sophia's in Lowell, MA) sells dye specific for dying eggs with directions in both English and Greek on the back. So I followed the directions on the back and dumped the whole packet into a huge pan which ended up hard to clean. As time went on, I discovered I could use only ½ of the packet and use a small container, doing 4 eggs at a time. This year I only used ⅓ of the contents of the packet. So what do you do?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter