1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Artemisdances

My lovely Thea Pagona taught me how to use these spices when making lamb or kefthetis. She sprinkled each one on the meat separately. But I started making a big jar of it so I could use it any time I wanted and to give as gifts to my friends. Equal parts of thyme, rosemary, dill, garlic powder, plus double the amount of oregano. Salt and pepper to taste and you can add mint towards the very end of the cooking time. Sometimes basil depending on the time of year. I confess that she would not have used garlic powder but rather she would use real garlic. But if you are making it as a blend you will need to use dried versions of everything. Once you have everything together, you mix it up nicely and pinch the herbs so that they really blend with each other. Be sure to shake the jar frequently so the heavy things do not go to the bottom. I use my blend for any meat, for soups, veggies, potatoes and even salads. Enjoy!

k_tsoukalas

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I actually don't like to put salt in my space blends that I make at all because it throws me off when I try to gauge salt levels for the dish as a whole In a favorite blend of mine I do: garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, dried lemon peel. I don't measure.

Where to get the best gyros in Athens

Athens has some of the best street food in Greece! You can pretty much get great street food anywhere in Greece, but these are some of my best suggestions for the next time that you're in Athens. I recommend ordering a gyro pita with tzatziki, french fries, tomatoes, and onions! It's the classic gyro and you won't be disappointed.

- o Gyros Pou Gyrevis
- Tylixto Greek Wrap
- Just Pita

All of the different shapes of baklava

Traditional Greek baklava is usually cut into triangles or squares, but there are many more very popular versions such as the round and rolled up ones. All baklava is pretty much exactly the same, only the shape is different. This video shows you all of the unique variations. I know that the video is in Turkish, but baklava is exactly the same no matter what country it comes from. These different shapes are definitely a little more difficult to make, and you'll need to be a bit more handy with the filo dough.

How to make a gyro completely from scratch

Making gyros can be pretty simple… but also pretty complicated. If you're in the mood for a challenge, I recommend that you check out this video and try making all of the different parts of a gyro from scratch. This is what I like to do if I have a little extra time on my hands, and want to impress my family lol. Of course, ordering takeout is always a great option, especially if you're supporting a local Greek business.

Have you ever made Greek fruit soaked in wine and honey?

This is one of the easiest and fastest Greek recipes that you can make! All you need is seasonal fruit, your favorite Greek sweet wine, some honey, and any spices that you prefer. I like to use a Greek honey as well, and if I can find it I will use pine tree honey. It has an amazing aromatic flavor. Here is my recipe

• 1/2 cups sweet red wine such as mavrodaphne
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh is best)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups seasonal fruit of your choice
First, you need to cut up your fruits and then make the mixture separately. Drizzle the mixture on top of the fruit, and there you have it! It's best serve chilled from the fridge and even on top of yogurt.

How to make refreshing mussels saganaki for the summer

Mussels might seem like an intimidating dish to cook, but they're actually pretty easy. I like to get fresh mussels from a fishmonger or a grocery store when they are available. I make sure to clean them really well on the outside to get all of the sand out, and I boil them once until they open and quickly rinse them so any sand inside will escape. After that, I follow this recipe and they come out perfect!

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter