1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Artemisdances

My lovely Thea Pagona taught me how to use these spices when making lamb or kefthetis. She sprinkled each one on the meat separately. But I started making a big jar of it so I could use it any time I wanted and to give as gifts to my friends. Equal parts of thyme, rosemary, dill, garlic powder, plus double the amount of oregano. Salt and pepper to taste and you can add mint towards the very end of the cooking time. Sometimes basil depending on the time of year. I confess that she would not have used garlic powder but rather she would use real garlic. But if you are making it as a blend you will need to use dried versions of everything. Once you have everything together, you mix it up nicely and pinch the herbs so that they really blend with each other. Be sure to shake the jar frequently so the heavy things do not go to the bottom. I use my blend for any meat, for soups, veggies, potatoes and even salads. Enjoy!

k_tsoukalas

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I actually don't like to put salt in my space blends that I make at all because it throws me off when I try to gauge salt levels for the dish as a whole In a favorite blend of mine I do: garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, dried lemon peel. I don't measure.

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?

Can You Think of Any Greek Dishes with Mushrooms?

So, I am still learning my way around Greek cuisine. I love mushrooms and I have yet to find any Greek dishes that include mushrooms. I know that they are found in Greece and you can buy mushrooms in the markets. I saw a segment on TV (I don't remember where) about a mushroom farmer in Greece, and I know people regularly forage for mushrooms in the wild.

What do people in Greece usually do with these mushrooms? I can't really find much online. Do people substitute it for meat? Cook it with meat? Put them in salads?

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg

Grilled Branzino Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

When I visit Greece, one of the dishes I love is to order grilled fish. Seafood is plentiful in Greece! Branzino is one of my favorites. However, when I am not in Greece, it's really hard to find this dish. So, I decided to learn how to make it. I found a great recipe in the Cooking Greek Cookbook. I took a pic and would like to share it with you! This is the traditional way it's made. In one of the tavernas I went to, they let me watch them cook for a while, and this looks very close to what they did.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

grilled-branzino-recipe.jpg

Recipes list for Greek holiday cooking

I want to experiment making some traditional Greek dishes over the holidays. While I am learning how to cook Greek foods, I am also getting to know the culture. So, what do people typical cook during this time of year? I have done some research and made a quick list:

** There's a Greek "stuffing" type of thing that involves chestnuts to serve at Thanksgiving - I am having a tough time tracking down a recipe

** Melamakarona - the Greek Christmas cookie

** Other Greek desserts seem pretty common this time of year, too - baklava, koulourakia, kourabedies

** Braised lamb shank - Greeks in the United States, from what I can tell, tend to cook Turkey - but this lamb shank recipe has come up as an option for Christmas dinner

Did I miss anything? I was thinking of making the Melemakarona cookies, and maybe learning how to make lamb shake and that "stuffing" (if I can find the recipe). I will do some other things if I have time, but these are the main ones.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube