1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Artemisdances

My lovely Thea Pagona taught me how to use these spices when making lamb or kefthetis. She sprinkled each one on the meat separately. But I started making a big jar of it so I could use it any time I wanted and to give as gifts to my friends. Equal parts of thyme, rosemary, dill, garlic powder, plus double the amount of oregano. Salt and pepper to taste and you can add mint towards the very end of the cooking time. Sometimes basil depending on the time of year. I confess that she would not have used garlic powder but rather she would use real garlic. But if you are making it as a blend you will need to use dried versions of everything. Once you have everything together, you mix it up nicely and pinch the herbs so that they really blend with each other. Be sure to shake the jar frequently so the heavy things do not go to the bottom. I use my blend for any meat, for soups, veggies, potatoes and even salads. Enjoy!

k_tsoukalas

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I actually don't like to put salt in my space blends that I make at all because it throws me off when I try to gauge salt levels for the dish as a whole In a favorite blend of mine I do: garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, dried lemon peel. I don't measure.

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Good Greek Recipes for Fall

Summer is (sadly) behind us and now I am starting to experiment with some foods that seem more appropriate for this time of year. Since I am getting more comfortable working with phyllo I thought I would try pita with squash. I found this recipe a little bit ago:

Thought I would also try to make this:

I tend to like heavier food at this time of year.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of dishes I should try?

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter