1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Artemisdances

My lovely Thea Pagona taught me how to use these spices when making lamb or kefthetis. She sprinkled each one on the meat separately. But I started making a big jar of it so I could use it any time I wanted and to give as gifts to my friends. Equal parts of thyme, rosemary, dill, garlic powder, plus double the amount of oregano. Salt and pepper to taste and you can add mint towards the very end of the cooking time. Sometimes basil depending on the time of year. I confess that she would not have used garlic powder but rather she would use real garlic. But if you are making it as a blend you will need to use dried versions of everything. Once you have everything together, you mix it up nicely and pinch the herbs so that they really blend with each other. Be sure to shake the jar frequently so the heavy things do not go to the bottom. I use my blend for any meat, for soups, veggies, potatoes and even salads. Enjoy!

k_tsoukalas

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I actually don't like to put salt in my space blends that I make at all because it throws me off when I try to gauge salt levels for the dish as a whole In a favorite blend of mine I do: garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, dried lemon peel. I don't measure.

How to make simple Greek salad dressing

Greek salad dressing is so simple! That's why I don't recommend that people buy it at the store. Making it at home is much cheaper, and also much healthier. First, you need to start with one cup of olive oil, half a cup of lemon juice, half a cup of red wine vinegar, and mix it all together. Then, add half of a cooked and chopped garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste. The recipe is really that simple. It can last a very long time and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Greek snacks to bring on your road trip

There are so many Greek snacks that you could bring on your trips and road trips this summer! The first one that I recommend is spanakopita of course. This is a classic and will never disappoint. Other types of pitas are great as well such as tiropita and kreatopita. For sweet snacks I recommend pasteli, papadopoulos cookies and rice pudding. You can buy all of these on the go in Greece if you're on a road trip in Crete or on the mainland and you can also make them at home to bring along.

Have you ever tried shrimp dolmadakia?

Shrimp dolmadakia are a lesser known dish that is made locally in the Ionian islands. The flavor is very similar to those made with beef since they both use tomato sauce and aromatic herbs. The only difference is that there is a strong seafood taste, as they are cooked in a seafood broth. These ones here are made in an abstract shape and topped with lemon sauce. It’s a super unique dish that I definitely recommend you try if you ever see these on the menu.

5FD88351-B1D5-4DE5-97E8-A4BBE3992EF0.jpeg

Mushroom gyros are the best vegan option!

I just stumbled upon a great souvlaki restaurant that had mushrooms instead of meat! It's called Street Souvlaki (Κατάστημα Ακτή Μιαούλη) in Pireas, if you're passing by, definitely check it out. This is a great option for tourists that are vegan. You can also find recipes to make it at home, but it tasted so good that I imagine it might be hard to replicate. Here is a link to one that I think will taste the same.

This is how to make a Greek omelette

This recipe is a classic all over Greek American diner's. It's also super healthy, and super easy to make! I have copy and pasted the ingredients from the video so it's easier for you to follow along.

2 t. olive oil
½ c. white mushrooms (sliced)
½ c. baby spinach
¼ c. crumbled feta cheese
6 sun dried tomatoes (chopped
1 avocado (sliced)
Sprig fresh thyme
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 T. milk per egg
1 T. butter

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter