1 - 2 of 2 Posts

knicks_fan87

In Greece, the Eve of the Nativity, Christmas Eve, is celebrated on January 5. The liturgical services include three phases. The first is the portion of the service referred to as “The Hours”, which summarizes the themes of the great feast. There are special biblical readings, hymns, and psalms prescribed for every single hour.

The Hours is followed by Vespers. This step marks the inauguration of the actual feast. Vespers include a total of eight biblical readings. These readings, together, show that Lord Jesus Christ basically stands as the symbol of fulfillment of every prophecy.

The final part of the service involves the Liturgy of St. Basil. Earlier, it used to be called baptismal liturgy. It used to be the phase during which catechumens, or Christian converts, were baptized. Although this is still adhered to, it is optional if there are no converts that need to be baptized.

After the above three phases are complete, it is time to begin the portion of the service known as “The Vigil”, which starts with a ritual called the great Compline. This stage is marked by the happy proclamation called Isaiah, which means “God is with us”. Christians sing a beautiful Canon at this point. The celebrations of the Nativity are concluded with the Liturgy.

For more information, you can read the rest here https://www.greekboston.com/christmas/eve-church-service/

k_tsoukalas

The Christmas Eve service is a beautiful one and I recommend those who have never been to give it a try once! I don't often get to go, but when I do I am always thankful. It is a great way to keep our minds focused on why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. Thank you for sharing all about the service!

Have you ever wondered what the evaluation of languages looked like?

This image is amazing....I always knew that languages came from each other but I never had it visualized. Kudos to the amazing designer who made this image! As we all know, the Greek language provided the basis for many alphabets and languages around the world. Nonetheless, Greece is unlike any language that exists today and it not based on any other languages like Romance Languages for example (Spanish, Italian, etc.). If anyone has other language resources, please feel free to share with me :)

Merry Christmas to the Worldwide Greeks community!

Merry Christmas to everyone in the worldwide Greeks community! I am so happy that I have found a place where I can chat with others in this forum. I wish everyone a blessed Christmas and a very happy New Year. As the Greeks say, Xronia Polla! And let's not forget that today is the name day of anyone named Maria, Mario, Panagioti (please let me know if I am forgetting anyone). Xronia Polla to all of those celebrating their name days. 🎄

Greece has just raised the minimum wage

For the second time this year, Greece raised the minimum wage. Many don't even know that there is minimum wage in Greece, but there is! it is a little bit easier to bypass it because there is more corruption and less regulation in Greece than in other countries but nonetheless it's really great that the country is taking steps to raise it, in my opinion. The minimum wage is now €663 per month, which is still relatively low and difficult to live on, especially if you're in more expensive areas such as Athens.

A traditional Greek Christmas glendi (party)

This is the exact video I was watching last year in the middle of the pandemic, savoring time dancing with old friends. This is one of the most popular Greek tv shows that showcases Greek culture in the best way. In the video, you will see some of the most popular Greek songs with Greek dances and its of cheer and kefi! I hope you enjoy and that your Christmas is just as happy. Xornia Polla se olous kai kali xronia!

A Greek New Years Eve Celebration!

This is what a beautiful New Years Eve celebration looks like in Greece! This show always Play some of the best Greek holiday music ever! I always have it in the background when I'm cooking and preparing for my New Year's and Christmas celebrations. I hope you enjoy it 😊

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter