1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mj_toronto8

I am just curious - what types of wedding receptions are common in Greece? For the most part, it looks like the celebrations often take place outside, and there are usually a lot of people there. As I am not Greek and don't have family in Greece, my reception would be pretty small. I don't know what to do!

k_tsoukalas

I am just curious - what types of wedding receptions are common in Greece? For the most part, it looks like the celebrations often take place outside, and there are usually a lot of people there. As I am not Greek and don't have family in Greece, my reception would be pretty small. I don't know what to do!
If you have a super traditional family, most of the weddings I have heard of take place in the family village, outdoors, and everyone pitches in and the party goes all day and often into the next day. But, there have also been more formal situations, as well... I am not sure I have actually never looked into it myself. Hopefully others can chime in!

Celebrating Greek Name Days

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.

Learning about Greek Orthodoxy - resources?

I am on an active process to learn more about Greek Orthodoxy - it has been my project for the past year. I am having a hard time tracking down resources. Does anyone have an y books to recommend?

I have read so far:

Thinking Orthodox - Eugenia Constantinou

Orthodox Study Bible

Welcome to the Orthodox Church - Frederica Matthews Green

Thanks!

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

Kalikantzaros - Spooky Christmas Tradition

I am learning a bit more about Greek Christmas traditions, and I just bumped into something pretty spooky - the kalikantzaros, which are Christmas goblins. What really strikes me as that they aren't cutesy Christmas goblins. They appear to be pretty mean! Does anyone know more about them? They are a part of folklore not only in Greece apparently, but also in Serbia, Bulgaria, etc. I would love for you guys to share what you know about them.

What games do people play in Greece?

I noticed that there is a taverna culture of "gaming". I see tavli played all the time. Are there other games people play?

I am wondering if people play chess, checkers, that kind of thing? What about physical games like bocci like they play a lot in Italy? I have seen this game in Switzerland and other places, too, and wonder if the Greeks also play it.

Also, what do kids play for games in Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube