1 - 4 of 4 Posts

dpappas87

What is in season in Greece now? I know cabbage is and maybe citrus fruits... I want to start trying some dishes that are traditional to this time of year. I know people eat a lot of stews, like stifado. Those kinds of dishes are great once in a while, but not all the time. I love vegetables the best! Do Greeks eat foods like kale? Do they use other winter vegetables like parsnips?

I know that potatoes do well this time of year and are in season, and I know what I can do with them ... Any advice is appreciated!

Reactions: Hash
When I was living there we used to cook Bamiez(Ladies fingers with tomatoes, onions, garlic and lots of olive oil in the oven)..... Aubergines with Feta cheese, lots of tomatoes and onions in oven).... +also other strong cheeses from Crete,....Gigatez... giant beans baked in oven......Green beans in oven!... Abundance of vegetables available!... Look up some recipes with carrots,... different dishes with cabbages, cauliflower, celery...
. Kalley Mera from Thailand..... let us know what you are cooking... which part of the world are you writing from?

When I was living there we used to cook Bamiez(Ladies fingers with tomatoes, onions, garlic and lots of olive oil in the oven)..... Aubergines with Feta cheese, lots of tomatoes and onions in oven).... +also other strong cheeses from Crete,....Gigatez... giant beans baked in oven......Green beans in oven!... Abundance of vegetables available!... Look up some recipes with carrots,... different dishes with cabbages, cauliflower, celery...
. Kalley Mera from Thailand..... let us know what you are cooking... which part of the world are you writing from?
It sounds like winter produce in Greece is pretty similar to many climates. I am in New Hampshire and I doubt anything is really in season now, with it being so cold, but we get our produce from elsewhere so the stores stay stocked. Greece has such a lovely climate and beautiful food!

Reactions: Hash
Yes, Greeks eat a variety of winter vegetables like kale, parsnips, and potatoes. Dishes like stifado and other stews are great for this time of year, but there are also plenty of other dishes that feature winter vegetables. A great example is hortopita, which is a traditional Greek pie made with greens and feta cheese. You could also try making a winter salad with kale, potatoes, and other vegetables, or a simple side dish with boiled parsnips and butter. Whatever you make, I'm sure it will be delicious, especially if you use all the delicious seasonal vegetables!
Bakalyaro Skordhalia....(I used to love Skordhalia very much!) boiled beetroot with garlic....spanakopita.... baked potatoes in oven with tomatoes, onions, garlic and rosemary!.... Aubergines with tomatoes,Feta cheese, garlic and lots of Oregano and olive oil.... yummy!🤗

Reactions: twinmark

How to make Koulouri - sesame bread rings?

When I went to Greece, one of my favorite snacks were the koulouri - or sesame bread rings.

I'm on a quest to recreate the delectable Greek Koulouri at home – those delightful sesame-crusted bread rings that are a staple street food in Greece. They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack any time of day, and I absolutely love their chewy texture and the rich taste that comes from being encrusted with toasted sesame seeds.

Is it a simple matter of taking any bread recipe and forming it into rings, and then putting sesame seeds on the rings? Or is it a bit more to it than that?

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back