1 - 1 of 1 Posts

nadellii

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

What are some forgotten Greek traditions that youd like to bring back?

There are so many beautiful Greek traditions that many of us don’t do anymore. Personally, I don’t attend church as much as I’d like to. I usually only go for Christmas and Easter and I would love to start going more often. What are some traditions that you have lost over the years that you’d like to start doing again? 😊

Major differences between Greek and American weddings

Obviously, the main difference is that Greek weddings are usually held in a Greek orthodox church. But besides many of the religious and cultural factors, there are a few main differences that will probably stick out to any American people. The first is that Greek people do not have groomsmen or bridesmaids. The second, is that the wedding is not only about the couple, but the families as well. In Greek culture, the bride and grooms family are very involved in the wedding and it is considered a joining of their two families as well. Lastly, one of the major differences that I have noticed is that because the ceremony is a religious ceremony, it is not as personalized as American weddings where the couple exchanges vows.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

Did you know that many Greek people dont have registries for their weddings?

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter