1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

k_tsoukalas

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

I love Greek nicknames! They're so amazing. They often have nothing to do with the original name, either.

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Many Greeks are having their weddings and baptizing their children on the same day

This is becoming more and more popular as people are getting remarried or having children without being married. A few friends of mine have had their weddings and baptizes their children at the same time. It is a new tradition that is gaining popularity, although it is definitely not traditional and some Greek people may frown upon it. Personally, I see no problem in it and I love attending these ceremonies.

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

Resources for Learning Greek Before Your Trip to Greece

It really does enhance your experience to learn some Greek, or brush up on your existing Greek, before you visit. I thought I would put together a list of some of the best resources I have found - they're all free.

- Duolingo has Greek now - I am not sure how effective it is, but it is free and that alone makes it worth checking out.
- Easy Greek on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/EasyGreekVideos - they have a lot of great content - I love how they interview people on the street
- Podcasts - There are plenty of learn Greek podcasts on both Spotify and through Apple and they are all worth checking out - For example, Easy Greek also has a podcast and there's a good one called "It's All Greek to Me". There are a lot of others.

In addition, you can check out various language programs (these aren't free). I like Pimsleur for conversational Greek, Rosetta Stone is pretty good, Mango, and there are others but those are the ones I have tried.

Which language programs have you used for Greek, and what were your results?

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter