1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

k_tsoukalas

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

I love Greek nicknames! They're so amazing. They often have nothing to do with the original name, either.

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Should I still get a gift if I cant make it to the wedding?

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.

The duties of a Greek Godparent

Godparents play an extremely important role in the God child's life. They are supposed to be their spiritual guide, and care for the child, similar to an aunt or an uncle. Customarily, a Godparent is also supposed to care for the child if anything happens to the parents. They provide gifts for the child on spiritual holidays, birthdays, and name days, and are present for important milestones. Although, not every Godparent is very engaging, and over the years some people lose touch with the families.

Why Greeks add -akis to everything

So many people have asked me why everything ends in "akis" and the truth is that it doesn't really! Akis is a suffix that is added to the end of greek words to make them "little" or more cute. It's also the ending of many Cretan last names. For example, dolma (grape leaves) is the official name but we just call them dolmadakia (akia is the plural of akis). You can add this to pretty much everything!

The rise of historical Anatolian cuisine in Greece

Over the past few years, I've noticed more and more trendy Anatolian restaurants opening up. These restaurants feature historical food cooked by Greeks whose ancestors used to live in modern day Turkey. The cuisine is very similar to Greek food, but has a few twist such as the use of red pepper powder or paste from Aleppo. Some classic dishes include Smyrneika soutzoukakia and kebab. It's really nice to see that these Greek traditions are being revived for the modern Greeks to enjoy.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter