1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

Fanouropita is a cake that is traditionally made in honor of Agios Fanourios, who represents revealing which is why people make the cake when they lose something. The cake is light and fluffy, and doesn't have a very strong flavor which is why it is paired well with fruits, ice cream or whipped cream for example. Here is a recipe for all of you to make when you have lost something!

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup Greek Brandy
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or any other type of nut that you prefer
  • Powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top of the cake

k_tsoukalas

I have heard this! I wonder if it really works. :) In any case, the cake looks delicious.

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

How to make a simple Greek tomato sauce

My family used to make a simple Greek tomato sauce to put over spaghetti. I have no idea if this is "Greek" and something that people do in Greece, but it was simple and had Greek flavors. This is what my family did:

• Sauce together 1 chopped tomato and 2 garlic cloves in some olive oil
  • Add a large can of crushed tomatoes, some pepper, a cinnamon stick, and some dried Greek oregano
  • Bring to a boil, covered, then let it simmer for about 30 minutes
  • Serve over spaghetti with some grated Greek cheese or Romano or Parmesan.

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Greek Kopanisti Ingredients

I thought I saw a kopanisti recipe that had yogurt but I don't see any. Most recipes have ingredients like this:
  • Feta cheese
  • Olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • garlic clove
  • roasted red peppers
Can I add a little Greek yogurt for consistency? I love the creaminess!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube