1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

Fanouropita is a cake that is traditionally made in honor of Agios Fanourios, who represents revealing which is why people make the cake when they lose something. The cake is light and fluffy, and doesn't have a very strong flavor which is why it is paired well with fruits, ice cream or whipped cream for example. Here is a recipe for all of you to make when you have lost something!

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup Greek Brandy
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or any other type of nut that you prefer
  • Powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top of the cake

k_tsoukalas

I have heard this! I wonder if it really works. :) In any case, the cake looks delicious.

Mushroom gyros are the best vegan option!

I just stumbled upon a great souvlaki restaurant that had mushrooms instead of meat! It's called Street Souvlaki (Κατάστημα Ακτή Μιαούλη) in Pireas, if you're passing by, definitely check it out. This is a great option for tourists that are vegan. You can also find recipes to make it at home, but it tasted so good that I imagine it might be hard to replicate. Here is a link to one that I think will taste the same.

Loukoumades are the best shareable dessert

Loukoumades are Greek balls of fried dough covered in honey or syrup and cinnamon. Nowadays, there are many different variations and you can order these with Nutella, pistachio, and different sweets on top. Sometimes I like to get mine with ice cream as well. They’re perfect for sharing, and kids love them!
7D7AAAE2-F09F-4E5C-A1B1-C8DD3D9E82DF.jpeg

Greek dessert recommendations

Greece has some of the best desserts! You can find anything from French, Italian and Greek pastries at most bakeries and pastry shops. If you’re traveling there, I suggest you try a selection of some of the most popular and loved sweets. In my personal opinion, the best desserts you can get are profiterol, mille-feuille, baklava, pagotinia (little ice creams), and ekmek kadaifi. I personally like desserts with cream that are a little less sweet. You can find many desserts that have syrup (siropiasta) but they all have the same feel to baklava, so I suggest trying that first.

43089506-B613-4FA2-99B0-F69A11FB80DC.jpeg

Seasoned goat wrapped in parchment paper

This dish is phenomenal! The goat is seasoned with thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, and pepper and wrapped in parchment paper to keep all of the juices and seasoning inside the meat. I am not sure what the red berries are, but they didn’t have a very strong flavor. Of course, it is served with potatoes that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I finished the mail off with a great baklava. Cheers my friends!!

93E11D4A-A89C-425B-B7CD-47036AF5A91D.jpeg

Famous Konstantinople yogurt kebab

This kebab is famous in Greece for its flavor and its roots in Konstantinople. It’s marinated in spices and tomatoes and then topped with a dollop of yogurt. It’s also usually served with pita bread and grilled veggies. It’s the best!

91467344-C233-4A2B-BA78-F90DF90268E1.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter