1 - 9 of 9 Posts

acamp7

I live in Toronto but I would love to watch some of the Greek TV shows that other users have recommended. Where do you all watch your Greek tv outside of Greece?

nadellii

Honestly I find most of my shows on Youtube or dailymotion

I live in Toronto but I would love to watch some of the Greek TV shows that other users have recommended. Where do you all watch your Greek tv outside of Greece?

When we lived in the States. now in Greece for many years, we had a TV man come to our home to set us up with a few Greek channels.

nadellii

When we lived in the States. now in Greece for many years, we had a TV man come to our home to set us up with a few Greek channels.
My friend used to do this! I believe she had dish network

Καιτη

I live in Toronto as well, and there is a service that connects you, directly with the homeland, you pay monthly, and once in a while you have to call for service cause it goes of line,and they reinstall it.

Reactions: francescool

francescool

I live in Toronto as well, and there is a service that connects you, directly with the homeland, you pay monthly, and once in a while you have to call for service cause it goes of line,and they reinstall it.
What is it called? It sounds great

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
The best product to watch Greek TV (not in Greece) that I have seen or used is Ellas TV, here is more information:

k_tsoukalas

Honestly I find most of my shows on Youtube or dailymotion

Same here! That is exactly what I do. I can always find something that way. I am thinking of buying a service, but I don't think I feel ready to invest in that yet.

Do you have any favorite Greek traditions for Christmas?

I know that there are a lot of Greek traditions and some of it depends on where in Greece you or your family is from. I thought I would share mine, I want to hear yours!

** Singing Greek Christmas songs together and going out caroling
** Agios Vasselios - "Greek Santa Claus"
** Melamakarona (Can't wait! It's almost time to start making them!

What are yours?

Kalikantzaros - Spooky Christmas Tradition

I am learning a bit more about Greek Christmas traditions, and I just bumped into something pretty spooky - the kalikantzaros, which are Christmas goblins. What really strikes me as that they aren't cutesy Christmas goblins. They appear to be pretty mean! Does anyone know more about them? They are a part of folklore not only in Greece apparently, but also in Serbia, Bulgaria, etc. I would love for you guys to share what you know about them.

Celebrating Greek Name Days

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

What games do people play in Greece?

I noticed that there is a taverna culture of "gaming". I see tavli played all the time. Are there other games people play?

I am wondering if people play chess, checkers, that kind of thing? What about physical games like bocci like they play a lot in Italy? I have seen this game in Switzerland and other places, too, and wonder if the Greeks also play it.

Also, what do kids play for games in Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube