1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

Where is the best place to put them? I’ve seen them basically everywhere but I want to know if there is someplace that’s “better” for good luck traditionally

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a list of places that I can think of that we have a Greek evil eye "mati" for good luck:

- On my necklace next to my Greek orthodox cross.
- At the front door of my house.
- On a keychain in my car.

These are few places that I can think of! 🇬🇷

image1-6-e1566512244373-720x960 (5).jpeg

k_tsoukalas

It doesn't matter where they go - it is personal preference. :) For me, these are a symbol of the Greek Culture and I have a necklace and bracelet that I wear regularly.

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube