1 - 3 of 3 Posts

acamp7

I always wondered where the evil eye originates from because I see it in many different countries, especially in Greece. I always assumed that is originated from the Middle East or Turkey, and that's how it made it through to Greece. I know that in Greek Culture, the evil eye is supposed to ward off evil spirits and evil thoughts of jealousy from other people. I wonder if it is the same in other cultures.

Reactions: John Stefan

greggd12

According ti Wikipedia, it actually dates back to Greece in 6th century BC!!

Reactions: John Stefan

k_tsoukalas

The history of medicine in Ancient Greece

Ancient medicine played a major role in Ancient Greek life and has made major impacts on the medical community even today. Hippocrates was one of the main leaders of the early discoveries of medicine in Ancient Greece. He believed that disease is a normal part of human life and that we can use the strengths of the body to heal disease within, by encouraging certain functions to heal the ailments. This was a revolutionary way of thinking about the human body and medicine!

Greece Marks International Museum Day with Free Admission!👍

What is the history of hookah in Greece?

I have recently seen quite a few videos of old traditional Greek music, and many of the singers seem to be singing and eating alongside a hookah pipe. I don’t really think that this is common in Greece nowadays, so I’m wondering what the history is behind this practice. Does anyone know how it was introduced in Greece and why it went away?

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

Well,at last hope commences!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter