1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dubai_suzie

Where are the best panigiria and celebrations?? I want to celebrate the Greek way :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
We would recommend spending time in a small village and often those are some of the best panigria celebrations!

Here is more information to look at:

ellinasgolfer0320

You need to go to a village. I go to the village (we are from a small village) for it and there are a couple thousand people who show up in the village to dance (they are from surrounding villages) and we go to each others' villages to celebrate... You may want to brush up on your Greek if you choose to go to a village (unless it's a touristy one) because many people in the villages don't speak English - you will find very few people in my village and the surrounding villages who speak English.

These are some videos taken from my wife's village and another village near by. As you can see, there are a lot of people. This is what you have to look forward to if you go to a village

Last edited:

dubai_suzie

You need to go to a village. I go to the village (we are from a small village) for it and there are a couple thousand people who show up in the village to dance (they are from surrounding villages) and we go to each others' villages to celebrate... You may want to brush up on your Greek if you choose to go to a village (unless it's a touristy one) because many people in the villages don't speak English - you will find very few people in my village and the surrounding villages who speak English.

These are some videos taken from my wife's village and another village near by. As you can see, there are a lot of people. This is what you have to look forward to if you go to a village

This looks amazing! Everyone coming together for a wonderful celebration, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I think I'll ask around and see if my Greek friends have any family from smaller villages. Does this type of party happen at most villages? Or is it the more traditional ones?

k_tsoukalas

I totally agree, you'll want to spend time in a village! If you're staying in a hotel, you might want to ask there, where to go for the celebration.

This is what a Greek Orthodox baptism looks like!

Here is a short video for anyone that's curious about what happens at a Greek Orthodox baptism

This is what a Greek Pontian wedding precession looks like!

I love seeing all of the different cultural traditions that exist in Greece! So beautiful

This is what Oxi Day is all about

Love learning about holidays like this, cheers!

Words that are difficult to translate from Greek to English

Φιλοξενία – Filoksenia: This is the idea of being generous and offering friendship (in a loving way) to a stranger or foreigner. This word does not exist in most other languages and is a big part of Greek Culture and expression.

Για πάρτη μου – Ya Parti Mou: Technically this phrase means “for me” and it is used to mean “treating yourself” well.

Φιλότιμο – Filotimo: This means honor and truth and friendship, and loyalty to one another.

Vocabulary words that you need to know if you are going to the beach in Greece!

These are going to be super helpful when you're going to the beach in Greece!

• Swimsuit – το μαγιό – to mayio
  • Red (black, blue, etc) Swimsuit – το κόκκινο (μαύρο, μπλε, etc) μαγιό – to kokkino (mavro, ble, etc) mayio
  • Beach – η παραλία – I paralia
  • Ocean – ο ωκεανός – o okeanos
  • Mediterranean Sea – Η Μεσόγειος – I mesoyeeos
  • Sun – Ο ήλιος – o ilios
  • Sunglasses – τα γυαλιά Ηλιού – ta gyaliá Ilioú
  • Swimming – κολύμπι – kolimbi
  • Towel – πετσέτα – peseta
  • Seashell – το κοχύλι – to kohili
  • Suntan – το μαύρισμα – to mavrisma
  • Palm Tree – το φοίνικα – to finika
  • Life Guard – ο ναυαγοσώστης – o navagosóstis
  • Sunscreen – το αντηλιακό – to aftiliako
  • Bikini – το μπικίνι – to bikini
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter